my daughter has adhd, what foods should i NOT feed her

laneanwalkermom

Asked by laneanwalkermom at 3:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• There are definite food to avoid like foods with artificial colorings and flavorings and sugary foods. I would also look into some natural alternatives for medication. If you are interested pm me.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 3:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Anything in a box, bag, or package we should all be leary of because they cost more money and have additives. Go with fresh or frozen fruit and veggies. Snack on apples/ bananas with peanutbutter, or breadsticks.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I've done lotsa research and there are studies out showing that avoiding red dyes in food and drinks helps curb the hyperactivity.
    QueenCherri

Answer by QueenCherri at 1:14 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• i have heard that gluten free casin free diets have worked wonders. i know of two kids that it worked great for.
    erins2ndbaby

Answer by erins2ndbaby at 3:48 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• what works for me personally ( i have severe ADHD) is stimulant foods such as caffiene. the adhd brain respond the stimulants by calming and focusing. now i'm not recomending you give you kid coffee but talk to your dr about what to give her (as opposed to not giving her)
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 11:50 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• also i noticed that she is only 4. that is too early to be diagnosed with adhd. most drs won't diagnose untill 6 at the earliest. 3-5 year olds naturally exibit adhd type behaviors
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 11:53 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My son has severe ADHD and I have talked with a many doctor and they all say the same thing that food or drinks do not have anything to with it. It will niether help or hurt. My son has everything we all have.
    Rhonda35

Answer by Rhonda35 at 3:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• since my daughter is in school she was diagnosed earlier then most. she has defiant destructive behavior on top of the adhd .....the teachers at her school mentioned having her tested for adhd and i had mentioned it to her dr from the time she was 2 until just a few months ago and they refused to even think about it until her teachers said they saw signs of adhd and detructive defiant syndrom....which is where the child is so frustrated and cant voice it that they destroy their toys or other things until they get attention.

as someone in healthcare, i know that most children are not truely diagnosed until at least age 6 however someone who has a father who is adhd and family members who are bipolar they took the teachers recomendation to test her.

thank you all for your responses.
    laneanwalkermom

Answer by laneanwalkermom at 11:47 AM on Sep. 18, 2008