Infant 95th percentile?? What exactly does that mean?

My Daughter went in for her 8 week check up & the Doctor said she had a tremendous growth spurt. She grew 3 inches & gained 5 pounds in 4 weeks. She drinks 4 oz. every 3-4 hours but will sleep 5-6 hours through the night. What do you think? Too chubby? :) The Dr. said all is well but does this mean she'll be a chubby kid? She's 8 weeks & 13 pounds. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was such a fat baby, My MIL was such a bitch & would tell me all the time that i need to do something about her weight. She'd ask me all the time "how much are you feeding her" Um OK....this was all before she was 1 year old. Yeah...she was fat...real fat...but she was also very healthy.

SHE IS A BEAN POLE NOW! She is almost 10, super tall & at a healthy weight. My DD is also in the 95th percentile (it means that out of a group of 100 kids, she'd be taller than 95 of them)

Some babies are fat. They're supposed to be fat for the most part. Unless your family tends to be over weight, i would not worry about it. My DD was such a fatty, but you would never know it now. She is tall & lean.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2011

• My son went from the 95% percentile, to the 60% to the 48% to the 75%. It changes as they grow and has 0 indication of what her height and weight will be when she's older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2011

• No, it just means she's bigger than the average infant her age. It doesn't mean chubby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2011

• 8 weeks? It's impossible for her to be too chubby. Sounds like a happy, healthy baby. Congrats!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 11:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2011

• my son has always been in the 95%
    he was almost 9 lbs at birth (we never got to use newborn clothes, he went straight into 3 mos)
    at 14 he's 5'10 and 203 lbs
    just means you have a big kid
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2011

• It means she is bigger than 95% of the babies of the same age. Don't worry about her being chubby now. Babies need a lot because they are doing a lot of growing & developing. She's fine and healthy!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2011

• not at all. It means she is getting the nutrtion and rest that she needs to grow.
    My son was 9. 7 and daughter 7.9 , I know. They both were in the 90-95.%tie. He is 6'2" and she is 5'7" and neither has ever been chubby in the least. Though now at thirty DS has nore trouble with his tummy muscles than he did in his teens, lol, go figure.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2011

• 95% means that she is larger than average (50%) for her age. It is not a porblem for children to be tall their- weight percentile will also reflect the height.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2011

• that sounds like my son, he grows so fast. There's no such thing as over weight for baby, and there's no non-fat formula. It's very important to feed them right for the first 3 to 5 years. 95percentile means out of 100 babies she's bigger than 95 of them. There's different percentile for height and weight, but i'm sure she's in her 90s for bother. That's good that she's a good eater.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2011