Is breastfeeding really best?

If a mom needs to take narcotic pain killers long term (more than 2 months).... is breastfeeding really best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Kids' Health

• i dont think so.. you should probably jus formula feed it would be safer for the baby
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 8:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I wouldn't think so. I was not able to breast feed because I needed medication. (not narcotics)
    hionlife

Answer by hionlife at 9:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• what's best is what helps baby grow healthy as possible, breast alone or with formula or formula by itself. I have three kids and before my first in a laleche meeting a leader told me that home birth (most did that in the group) or hospital birth didn't matter or breast or formula. The goal of birth and parenting is healthy baby healthy mommy. I bf only my first two, never any formula oh no never for my kids. Well baby three came alone and my milk alone wasn't enough,even tho my3rd. HealthybabyHm.
    Anonymous

• Answered in one of the other sections....look up your med on the Lact-Med database (google Lact-Med). It may be perfectly safe.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If the medicine is passed in the breast milk, then probably no. What's best is for baby to have a happy, healthy mom for as many years as possible.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• That would depend on which med you are taking. You can check safefetus.com to find out. If it's L1 or L2 then yes, the brest is still best.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• What is best is that the baby is FED.

Even if the medicine is deemed "safe" you have to decide if it's a chance you're willing to take. The mother's mental and physical health is more important than if a baby gets fed by nursing or formula. If the mom isn't healthy she won't be able to care properly for the baby.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I am taking oxycodone 5mg 3 times a day. It says it is approved for breastfeeding. I worry about the baby getting addicted. I don't want him to go through withdrawals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• 5mg is a pretty light dose of percocet, or percodan, or whatever. if your doc prescribed it knowing that you are breastfeeding then it should be ok for you to take. as far as withdrawals, taper down the dose yourself. go to 2x a day for a few days, then 1x a day for a few days, then 1/2 a pill once a day for a few days...etc.
    Anonymous

• No one NEEDS to take medicine that just covers up a symptom..they need help to find the underlying cause.

So breast is always best.
    Anonymous