• In the Spotlight:

when divorce happens who would normally get the child.

if your marriage had ended would you get counseling for both of you or see a psychologist. I am seeking counseling for myself my husband and i seen a counselor and he told me theres no change in the marriage especially his hygiene and taking proper care of himself like he's suppose too, when our son of 6 months will be in 2 homes since my husband and i are going through a dissolved marriage. I would like to be single again and raise my son the right way of how to be clean and take responsibiity of his life when he gets older he'll understand why his daddy is the way he is.

carolyn_79

Asked by carolyn_79 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• depends whoever files divorce first gets to make the requests.Then a temp custody hearing.Afterthat a final divorce dicree if you don't agree on the terms a judge decides
    misskitty98310

Answer by misskitty98310 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Most states will award residential custody(where the kiddo lives) to the parent that was the child's primary care giver.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 3:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Withmyself and everyone I knew whose parents had a divorce they went with their mom. I think your kid would stay with you seeing as hes still really really young, unless there was something legally or mentally against you. A kid can decide who they want to be with after they are a certain age, here its 13 or 14.
    HisNightshade

Answer by HisNightshade at 6:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Hi Carolyn !!!
    It would be best for Nathaniel if you and Steve can agree on primary residence. Me and my ex have joint custody of my daughter, but I have primary residence and he still gets his visitation. The courts respond better if the two of you can work together on this. Believe me I know from experience. If you have any other questions regarding your divorce please don't hesitate to ask, I might be ale to help. I know what you are going through is not easy and very stressful. Just know I am here for you.
    Christine7647

Answer by Christine7647 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2008