What do you do when they cry?

I just had my little girl yesterday, so of course I freak out when she cries, lol. I think I've figured it out, as far a hungry/diaper/gas, and etc. and what to do.

But just for future reference, when you can't figure out why they are crying, what do YOU do?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 8:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give it a couple weeks. soon you will know what every cry means and when there is a cry that doesn't sound normal to you, you'll know. But if you have questions asking your doctor can always relieve your fears.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If you've figured it put after one day you should write a book. My son is 1 1/2 and I doubt I'll figure it out before I'm babysitting for his kids. :)

When he cries I check on the basics: wet, hungry, scared, lonely, tired, grumpy.  I can't wait for him to learn to talk so he can just tell me what he wants.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• do what you would do.. feed them change them burp them.. try miciline drops for gas if that doesnt help you could try juice or rocking them.. my son use to get gas and id give him drops and lay him on my chest and pat his back and sing he use to love it
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 9:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You'll know what to do- they teach you :)
    And I used to freak out too, and now, sometimes- I have to laugh when she cries! (If she's just hamming it) Wouldn't have imagined myself so comfortable knowing her needs when I was a "newby". Good luck and God bless!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I think the answers come as you go. At least that is how I got by. Congrats on the baby.
    hionlife

Answer by hionlife at 9:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• it depends... shes new yet hun,, pretty soon you'll even know what she wants then, be it she's tired, wants to be held, colic, etc, you'll get it. If you got that much diaper,hungry, etc, figured now, your already a step a head.. hang in there and congradulations on the new baby.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Holy hell, get off the computer and go be with your newborn-lol............

When I can't figure out what they want-I first try everything and then either hold and rock to sleep or let them CIO-depends on the age of the child/how long they cry though.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I can't say that I've ever not known what to do.. I always know why my baby is crying..

Sometimes it's boredom.. Sometimes it's a sore tummy... Generally not feeling well... Or just plain not knowing what she wants..

Whatever the reason- even if I can't help her, and she just needs to cry, well... I just hold her and soothe her, and hug her and love her..
    At times it gets overwhelming and I just need a break.. But never longer than a few minutes to just cool myself down, then right back to it..

I would never CIO, though..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Well- except my own, personal, cry it out, which is "cry it out in mommy's arms because mommy loves you no matter how sad you're feeling."

You'll get the hang of it, though.. Never ever be afraid to ask for help from your husband. He may not be able to make her stop crying, but at least he can allow you to gather your wits again and go back for round two.. Sometimes babies are just fussy- not often, mind you.. But when it happens it can really strike a nerve..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2009