Is breast really best?

When you need to be on narcotic pain killers long term? (longer than 2 months)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Health

• That would be a most definite NO! Consult your doctor to be sure,
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• o0o0o no not another breast Queastion honey i'm sorry use that lil noggin God gave ya...I say no don't do that.
    Anonymous

• I'd guess narcotic pain killers are a no no when BFing. You need to check with your OB about what's safe. Don't nurse while you're on meds unless your OB and pediatrician say it's OK.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The doctor who prescribes them knows I am breastfeeding. I do not take them for fun.
    Anonymous

• and he's telling you it's ok? consult a different doctor then.
    Anonymous

• I'm really confused by this because after I had the baby they gave me pain killers. They obviously knew I was breastfeeding too.
    Anonymous

• what do you need to be on painkillers long term for that is more important than giving your baby optimal nutrition?
    Anonymous

• i had my a major surgery when my daughter was 4 or 5 weekss old and i was breastfeeding. The surgeon perscribed vicodin and told me to pump and dump while on it and not to give any to my daughter. And at my next appointment with my OB i had told them about this, and he said that there was no reason to pump and dump because it wasn't going to affect my daughter and that's the same stuff they perscribe after c-sections, but he also told me to consult with my daughters doctor. So i called her doctor and they also have a lactation consultant in the office and i met with both of them and showed them the medicine i was on and told them what the surgeon said, and they doc and the L. C. both agreed there was no reason to pump and dump, so plz discuss it with you doctor before deciding to just not breastfeed, you may be surprised by what they say.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I had spinal fusion surgery.
    Anonymous

• Actually, it depends on the painkillers. Very little passes into breastmilk and some are just fine, even long term.

Look up your med on the National Institutes of Health's Lact-Med database. It's one of the most accurate resources around...certainly more so than most doctors.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2008