what do you do with a 7 year old boy who prefers company of adults to being with othr childre?

my son is an only child and it is just him and myself at our home. the only people he is around are adults, even at his school (a small private school) he has more adult interaction than child. this summer he has been attending summer school at a local public school and he is having such a hard time with making friends. he says only one other child willplay with him.. and happens to be a boy from his school. i have tried to talk with him, explaint to him how to deal with this situation , but nothing i have said is working. he is not a shy kid and is very outgoing. but he is really struggling with this and seems very sad. i am stucfk... any one have any advice??

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was like that as a child because I always spent all my time with adults. My mom just let me hang with her. As for school I am not sure... Have you talked to him about it?

Answer by kimberlyp552002 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Try more one-on-one play with kids in his age group. The group social scene seems like a trial by fire at this point, sink or swim. If your son alreay feels like he cannot relate with others his age, he may subconsciously exclude himself from their play or take the smallest things too personally. Of course, continue to reassure him as he goes (it sounds like you cover that base well already)! I would suggest inviting another "mom and son" combo over for lunch or meet up at a park. Gradually expand his social circle and watch his confidence grow.

Answer by DanicaMom at 4:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Don't try to train him out of it. Just see if you can get him to enjoy the company of kids his own age as well. Talk to him and see if there is a reason for this. I was like that as a kid. Mine was because kids my own age picked on me. I also agree with DanicaMom. Try to find less threatening ways to help him get his feet wet.

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• what about finding something, such as soccer (or whatever he's into as long as it's a group function), that ensures the interaction in a way that focuses less on the social part and more on the interaction part?

Answer by ibsqueen2004 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008