does it bother you when your child tells you they dont love you when they cant have their way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• It would bother anyone I think, but I'd defiantly get onto them about saying horrible things like that. Dont let those words control you
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• This may not work with everyone, but when my son told me that I said well I don't love you either. I could see that he was quite startled. I gave him about 30 seconds to think about it, then I said that it was not so, that I did love him, but I wanted him to know that he shouldn't be saying that. He never did again. As I said, maybe it wouldn't work on anyone else, but it did for me.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Not anymore. It did w/my 1st, but after that I was like W/E!! lol

Now I just say "oh, well! I still love YOU and YOU still can't have your way!"
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• No it does not bother me at all.... My husband gets upset.

I see it as they are just trying to hurt me, so I act like it's no big deal and just pretend they didn't say anything...I am like "uh huh, well you still need to go to your room."

Oh another funny thing is if my son says " I wish I didn't have parents," then I usually say "oh that's too bad, guess there will not be anyone to buy you toys." LOL...he changes his tone !!!

Seems to work with my son. I don't see him saying it more or anything like that.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Not at all. I know they don't mean it.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I'm a weird one. It doesn't bother me... I know they are just acting out in the moment and don't really mean it. I just say, "Sorry to hear that" and don't let them get away with whatever misbehavior is happening.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 9:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• no because i know he is just mad at me at the moment and will soon get over his fit. Then i will get love again. I used to get sad, but after 3 kids that did not last
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• when my now 18 year old daughter told me she hate me she was about 5 and those words broke my heart. Now when she says I HATE YOU I just smile and say love you back!!
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Wow. It's ironic that you ask this ? tonight because we just went through this tonight with our 10 yr. old DS when he wanted to stay up when he's been up since like 7. And at times I take it personal but I'm getting better and better at, I still love you, now........ (whatever it is I'm asking him to do).
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• With the first two it did, but not anymore, know I am am like " I know, I'll live". My 7 year old asked me once why I say that so I told him that his older siblings say that to me all the time and that despite them saying it life goes on and I still love them.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2009