what are they?

so i lost a family member a few years ago and am convinced the world is after me. i just got a christmas gift that i thought i wanted and have decided now that i dont. i got the book mother warriors by jenny mccarthy which is about children with austim and their mothres efforts to "help them recover". so all these mothers swear it was the vaccines, something i disagreed with until now. sorry for babbling... now onto my question does anyone know the earliest signs of autism, i know one is language development or lack thereof. well my 6mo old used to say mama alllll the time when she was angry and now shes not as much. she still babbles like shes trying to talk but im concerned.maybe im paranoid (which is prob it) but i just wanna know what the earliest detectable signs are so i can look out before her 9mo check up. please dont be mean. i just wanna be ready for it if she has it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can't say for sure what the early signs are, I know that alot of babies with autism don't follow things with their eyes well. Also as for the talking. babbling is all you're going to get for now. she's way to young for you to be concerned about her talking give it about another 5 or 6 months for that.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• dont worry too much about it..... my daughter use to say love you and not she doesnt... sometimes they just forget how to say things... its normal.. Its like when they r new borns if u ever notice when u stand them up they walk, well they forget that too. Google it and im sure theres site u can find the signs
    Anonymous

• Autism is typically diagnosed in children around the age of 2 or 3 years, but parents often have concerns about developmental delays much earlier

* Does not babble, point, or make meaningful gestures by 1 year of age
    * Does not speak one word by 16 months
    * Does not combine two words by 2 years
    * Does not respond to name
    * Loses language or social skills
    * Poor eye contact
    * Doesn't seem to know how to play with toys
    * Excessively lines up toys or other objects
    * Is attached to one particular toy or object
    * Doesn't smile
    * At times seems to be hearing impaired

Anonymous

• Dont know if this helps.....
    Even infants as young as 6 months can be screened for potential warning signs, some experts say. For example, while all 6-month-olds like to gaze at objects that interest them, autistic babies may focus solely, and repeatedly, on a single object; their parents may have difficulty redirecting their attention. Also, 6-month-olds ordinarily enjoy gazing at faces, especially their parents. Autistic babies, however, often avoid eye contact.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I wouldn't let it get to you. My daughter was on and off again with the babbling and talking. She had frequent ear infections and fluid on the ears which I'm sure was part of it. But I think it's normal for kids to talk then slow down then start talking up a storm. Obviously you have an idea of what the warning signs are, but try not to over think it. Enjoy your child.
    Anonymous