Gestational Diabetes?

So my doctor called today to tell me that my glucose test came back high and I need to go in for a three hour test. So does anyone know how this is done? And also is it possible to have had a high glucose test but not have gestational diabetes? And if I DO have it, what exactly are the risks and complications? Thanks ladies!

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had it when I had my last child. From what I remember, you have to drink the glucose stuff, then they check your sugar every hour for three hours. That tells whether you have it. I had to go on three shots of insulin daily. It wasn't so bad, especially in order to have a healthy child. If you do have it, make sure to follow your doctors recomendations and diet to the t. If he puts you on insulin, take it just like they say to. The biggest problem that they told me could happen is that the baby could end up being a really really big baby, and could risk complications from having it. I kept mine under control and did just as I was told, and they thought my daughter would still be around 9 pounds. But she ended up being 7 pounds 13 ounces, and was really healthy. Good luck, and don't let this scare you. Hang in there.
    wmjsease

Answer by wmjsease at 9:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I acutally just did this today. My first test came back a little high so to be sure I had to do the 3 hour comprehensive test. They take a vial of blood before they made you drink twice the amount of the juice the first time. Then once an hour for 3 hours, they will draw another vial of blood. The nurse said typically only 25% of ladies actually have gestational diabetes if the first test comes back high. It can be from what you ate the night before, etc. Only 4% of women even get GB in general so your odds are pretty low for having it.

I have never had it but a few friends have and like the previous poster said, its not that bad but you do have to give yourself the insulin shots and keep on a strict diet but it truly is worth it for a healthy child.
    carlita78

Answer by carlita78 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You in for the 3 hour test. You drink twice as much glucose solution and they draw your blood 1x per hour. If you fail that then they discuss treatment. With my first child i failed the 1 hour test, but passed the 3 hour test. With my 2nd I failed the 1 hour test and REFUSED the 3 hour test (my insurance wouldn't pay for it and it made me so sick with my first!) so they simply treated me as if I had failed the 3 hour test due to my family history etc. I watched what I ate and took 5 units (a SUPER small amount!) 1x per day. My baby was only 5 pounds 15 oz so she didn't get to large due to it. I wouldn't worry until you are done with the 3 hour test. There is a very big chance you will pass the 3 hour test! Good luck mama!!
    the1youluv2hate

Answer by the1youluv2hate at 9:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• OH and if you do fail....tell your doc you want a FREE glucose meter and insuling pen etc. They have all the supplies right there, the drug reps give it to them each damn month! They are NOT cheap so get it from your doc! If you have any questions PM me!
    the1youluv2hate

• Oohh they have those there? Well now im feeling more hopeful that I will pass the three hour test! I am already high risk I dont need/want anymore complications! Thanks ladies!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Having Gestational Diabetes was a body saver for me. I would've gained SO much more weight had I not been on a special diet. It's really no big deal if you watch what you eat. If you have it and you don't, your baby runs the risk a getting TOO big in womb. You do however have a higher chance of developing type 2 diabetes later in life if you have gd.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 10:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2008