how do i get my toddler to listen to me?

she will deliberately ignore me and wont listen to me no more

dubld

Asked by dubld at 9:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont know, but let me know when you figure it out haha
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 10:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Ask her something she WANTS to answer that she has a vested interest in. Like - do you want a banana or apple? Give her a choice she will like. I'm not sure otherwise. Just read some ideas about getting cooperation by playing cooperation games - like "do you want to hop like a bunny or crawl like a puppy to the bathroom for your bath?"
    AngelWendyMama

Answer by AngelWendyMama at 10:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Is it that she won't look when you call her name or that she just won't do what you tell her to do?

If she's not doing what she's told, then discipline. Whatever form you use. We use timeouts here....they stand in time out until they are ready to listen to me and do what they are told. Once out of timeout, if they don't do what I had told them to do, they go right back in.

Keep in mind that they know the difference between a statement and a question at this age....if you want her to do something, don't ASK her to do it.

There's a difference between "Will you put your toy away please?" and "Go put your toy away please." The former is a question which they can answer.....the latter is an "order".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2009