Can I train for a half-marathon without neglecting my kids?

I would love to run a half-marathon this fall. Has anyone trained lately with kids at home? Any tips? Thanks!

AbiMack

Asked by AbiMack at 3:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• bring a stroller along.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I'm planning on doing a half-marathon this fall too. I'm running a couple of times a week right now, but I haven't worked up to any kind of significant mileage. I am going to try the walk-run method.
    Anyways, I only run when my husband is home in the evenings.....nobody is neglected because they are playing with daddy while I'm gone.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I did a half in Feb. and am training for a full. This kinda sucks, but it's the only way I don't feel guilty about the time commitment...I go before my dd wakes up. She typically gets up at 7, so if I do an hour and a half run, then I'm up at 5 and leaving the house at 5:30. When I do my short runs she comes to the gym with me and plays at their childcare facility. Good luck...if running makes you feel better, then it will make you a better mom :)
    beth0828

Answer by beth0828 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• How old are your kids? Take them in a stroller or put them on a bike while you run. It will be fun for them and good exercise. Kids around middle school age & older should also be able to run 1-2 miles with you!
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I trained for a half marathon much like the other mom when my triplets were asleep at 5 am I ran when my husband was asleep with one of my best friends we ran for thirty minutes six days a week. Approximately, three miles and then when the kids were sleeping I ran another 3 miles on the tread. Much easier than road running. Good luck... I think I am going to start running again. Its harder now though because of my disabled son on top of the triplets needs more care as he gets older.
    Anonymous

• I've done them, twice. Mostly I ran with the baby in her stroller while everyone was at school--this is as a stay-at-home-mom. I also ran on the treadmill while she took naps, or even plopped a movie in for her to watch and toys to play with in her playpen when she was little. The movie wasn't the best option but she was more engaged by the toys anyway.

My daughter started "running" with me in her stroller at 3 months; she was 9 months when I did my first half, and when I did my 2nd half marathon she was just over a year old.

Nowdays I take her to baby gymnastics, then to the YMCA play area after--she plays and I can run. Or we go out with the stroller again.

A good jogging stroller can save your sanity...as can a husband who lets you run away (literally) for an hour.

BTW...the longest run she ever went with me for was 15 miles...3 hours. She had a nice nap, played and "read".

You can do it! Good luck!
    MaineChapmans

Answer by MaineChapmans at 3:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2009