Thrush

ok so my daughter and i still have thrush. this is the second round she isnt using the dropper though now its a qtip. is there another way to put it on her that might be more effective?

hinklemks

Asked by hinklemks at 8:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• bummer.. all my kiddos had it also. Hang in there mama :) ~Amy
    AmyJacobs

Answer by AmyJacobs at 8:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2011

• well i found out that the crap they prescribe doesnt work that well. first thing is always treat both of you at the same time so its not perpetual, and the second thing is to use gintian violet. i have used this for all of my kids and it takes 2-3 applications and no more thrush. it works beautifully. u just paint it in thier mouth and on your breasts. usually the itching stops by the end of the first day, if you still see it on day 2 apply once more, and same on day 3. i have never still had it on day 4.

the only problem is that it stains! so make sure u put on some breast pads to shield your clothes and undress baby so her clothes dont get stained. its bright purple. i have a 2 year old stain on my living room carpet that will not come out for anything!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2011

• I second the gentian violet recommendation!! It works so great. Yes it is messy and will stain everything! but it is so much more effective than Nystatin - which according to my LC (and most of the nurses on the mat ward) only works 50% of the time. If you do use the GV, make sure to treat both of you, like a pp said paint your nipples and fully paint baby's mouth, all around the inside of the cheeks, gums, tongue. Do not redip the q-tip, you'll just be contaminating the bottle. I was told to do it once a day for 7 days, but I have seen others who've had shorter treatment times. Good luck, thrush sucks!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2011

• i had my hubby pick some of the gentian violet stuff up and used it once, and i had alot of people tell me that i shouldnt use it cuz it doesnt do anything but stain everything. but if it works ill definitely try that again. i think cutting out the thrush would help her with alot of things. like sleeping!
    hinklemks

Comment by hinklemks (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2011

• Shoot, I forgot to mention ... you need to sterilize anything that goes into baby's mouth. Any paci's, bottle nipples you might use, toys, breast pump if you use one. All those can be contaminated and just spread it back to you.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2011