Why does he cry so much after he wakes up from a nap?

My 2 year old cries and cries and cries after he wakes up from a nap. It doesn't matter if he wakes up on his own, or we wake him up. We offer him everything from food to milk and nothing makes him stop crying. Could there be something wrong with him? Any tips or advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• has he always done this or is it recent?
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 10:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I just wanted to mention that this is happening to us, too. Lately he wakes up from every nap fussing. What helps most is snuggling and reading a story and giving him something to eat. I think it must be normal, but I don't quite know why. Maybe it is because he is starting naps later and it is dark when he wakes up so he gets scared.
    AngelWendyMama

Answer by AngelWendyMama at 10:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Yeah, he has almost always done this. What I find that works is if we go for a ride right away. That usually helps him to wake up a little bit better. But if we are home he cries.
    Anonymous

• My know 7 year old did the same thing, the only thing that worked was to take him outside, it didn't matter how cold or hot. At around two I took the naps away because it was just so hard (and sometimes cold). Turned out great cause he started to sleep better at night and went to sleep earlier.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:20 AM on Jan. 1, 2009