should I take her lap top away at night?

my 15 year old daughters Aunt gave her a laptop for Christmas. My daughter sleeps with it night, has been up all night, has been sleeping all day just to wake up to get back on. I am happy she enjoys her gift and will allow her to play on her lap top to her hearts content until school starts again. Then laptap reality will hit when I take her lap top away at bedtime..

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 10:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I would talk to her before you take it away. Let he know what the rules are and that if you catch her breaking them then you will take it away.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• yeah i would take it away at night and i would give her only a certain amount of time she is able to be on her laptop a day.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 10:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• No dont take it away but say "You may use it at your discretion because I trust your judgement but if your grades drop or you are behaving badly there will be consequences". l would set a consequence for her schedules negative effects then she will learn the good reasons to have time management skills.It also will make you less of a bad guy because she will better understand how she caused the consequences.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I wouldnt til school started up again :) She is on Vacation let her enjoy it :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It's not so much the amount of time she's using it that I would have an issue with...it's the fact that it's unsupervised usage. The internet is not the safest place to be...especially as a young girl. So in our house, even if someone does get a lap top...they will ONLY be allowed to use it in a common area of the house.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• With the communication I've seen on MSN live messenger, MySpace, etc., the answer is take it away at night. The instant messages seen from people that he doesn't even know -- only reinforces my vote. It can be fun to chat with friends, but it can also be a gateway to drugs and other behaviors that you would never allow in your home. The language used is completely foul and the word "fk" is used so many times, it makes your head spin. Imagine putting your daughter in a room of complete strangers (male/ female) and shutting the door -- unable to see what is happening. It's a creepy thought, but with today's technology, it's a reality. Close the laptop and open it in the am. Her real friends will be there in the am and the creeps that cruise during the evening hours won't be allowed in. Hope it helps.
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• No, My mom did this with me but it just led me to be more sneeky and dishonest, like at night i would get out of bed and go get it from where ever she had it and if my mom caught me i would be grounded, i would yell, i would be grounded some more, then i would sneek out and the cycle would continue. Now my mom trusts me more and now insted of taking it away she says "I will let you have this privalege but i want it turned off at __:00 and if you do not have it turned off you will have a punishment. I trust you but with trust comes responsibility" So i have always obayed my "laptop cerfew" because i didnt want to get in trouble. sure i ppushed it some nighs by a couple minutes but i would always have it turned off sonner or later. I think that by giving her trust you will win respect.
    almostamommyof2

Answer by almostamommyof2 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My son has his own laptop in his room, I tell him it needs to be off at a certain time and if I catch him on it after that time it comes out of his room at night usually for a week. However since he is 15 he has this stupid belief that even though I have caught him and taken it away several times he can get away with it another time!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• yes definitely take it away at night. the people that get on the computer late at night are the crazy pedophile guys. maybe not all but the majority of them are. and I am sure you think that your daughter knows better and wont do anything bad but you never know. I have had some bad experiences from being on the internet late t night without my parents supervision and I wish so much that my mom would have not let me on after bedtime.....I always told myself that I wasn't going to do anything bad but things change.....I would highly recommend no computer after bedtime.
    wintersmommy06

Answer by wintersmommy06 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• No teen here yet but....

My 10 year old also got a laptop for Christmas. I explained to him that he can't stay up all night playing on it and it hasn't been a problem. He goes to bed at around 10. He has just been waking up a bit earlier so he has extra time on it. I'd think it would also depend on what she is doing on it. Is she on the internet? Are ther parental controls? My son doesn't much surf the net yet so I'm not worried about that but I do keep parental controls on it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2009