drinking and breastfeeding..anyone got any answers?

my daughter is 6 weeks and im breastfeeding..sometimes formula if i have to but 98 percent breastfeeding..anyway i was thinking about drinking a little tonite but im not sure how long alcohol stays in your breastmilk..i dont want to have to feed her to much formula it just wouldnt be worth it..any advice ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is perfectly healthy and happy, so i'll put my two cents in.

When I drink, I pump once after, then dispose of that milk, and breast feed after.

Ex. Come home pump....THEN breast feed. I give my son 2 oz of formula IF he is hungry before my supply is back up.

Beer/Red Wine helps your supply so I would assume that there is no prob with BF when drinking those two things.

Whatever you feel comfy with.
    Anonymous

• some will say a certain amount of hours for how ever many beers you have... but its really how YOUR body handles it and how long YOUR body keeps the alcohol in your system so it varies person to person depending on weight metabolism etc.

i would do formula since you said you use it sometimes or i would pump prior to drinking and save it to use later.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 10:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• if you're sober enough to drive you can breastfeed .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Quit giving that baby formula.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

There are your answers
    Anonymous

• uhm meshell that was HORRIBLE advice.

who is to say what IS sober enough? i can have 10 beers and THINK im sober enough to drive. but still get pulled over and arrested. or i could have 1-2 beers THINK im sober enough to drive and drive and get pulled over and arrested for a DUI...
    thats not true, please do not listen to that advice.

i would pump ahead of time to save for when the baby needs it.
    Anonymous

• I say why risk it for something so stupid...and to respond to the person who said if you're sober enuf to drive you can breastfeed...that's the lamest thing I have ever heard. Everybodys tolerance is different and it is NOT fair to put that in the baby for one stupid nite.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• id say at least until the next morning, pump and dump until then. you don't want to risk it.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 11:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Just don't drink, then there's no worry :o)
    Anonymous

• Holy peter the lack of knowledge in this post is astonishing!

a) Meshell~ You are correct if you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to breastfeed

b) Anon 10:17~ Meshell did not say if you perceive you are sober enough to drive she said if you ARE sober enough to drive. Being sober enough to drive adheres to the legal limit of .079 or less.

c) Pump and dump does absolutely nothing unless you are trying to keep up your supply. Alcohol leaves your milk as it does your blood. There is no need to get rid of your blood so why your milk?

d) Please reference the kellymom document or any document about alcohol and breastfeeding. They all agree. Alcohol infrequently and in moderation can be dealt with quite easily and is ok.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• hahhhahaah that is so not true.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2009