how do i get my 3 year old to sleep in her own bed instead of mine

PrincessDJ

Asked by PrincessDJ at 3:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A really good bedtime routine helped us. Consistent "bed snack" as my daughter calls it, brush teeth, bed time, story time, etc. Letting her pick out comforting things for her room, bedding she can get excited about, etc. Also, consistent napping in her own room helped us get her into her own bed for keeps! :)
    AbiMack

Answer by AbiMack at 3:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• If its a crawling into your bed in the middle of the night thing, I've built a bed of blankets on the floor next to mine. When my 4 yr old comes in, he just hits the blankets on the floor. That way, I don't get disturbed, and he feels close to me.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 3:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My aunt had this same problem. Their daughter would fall asleep with them and then they had to move her to her room. By the time my cousin was 8, my aunt decided something had to be done.
    They did a gradual move. For a while they'd let my cousin lay in bed with them and then carry her to her room before she was actually asleep. Then the next step was to just sit in bed with them and go to her room together. Then my aunt sat in my cousin's room with her untill she fell asleep. And after months of working on it, my cousin finally goes to sleep on her own.
    I think it would be easier with a younger child. My cousin was pretty set in her ways.
    MommyWantsAGirl

Answer by MommyWantsAGirl at 1:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2008