My 2 year old says his throat hurts.

Okay, My little one is 2 1/2. He's already got all his teeth, and molars or whatever they are. I know what strep, and tonsilitis look like. he keeps having a little speck of dried blood around his nose a couple of times today. He's been a little fussy, but no fever . He eats like a normal 2 year old, . His restroom habits are also normal. But he keeps telling me his "mouth hurts right in there" and i ask, you mean your teeth and he says "NO", and points to the back of his throat. so i get the flashlight look I don't see any bloody stuff, green stuff or white pockets. Nothing even looks very red , raw or irritated. His tonsils look i guess like a normal tonsil with the normal crevices just sinus drainage making it uncomfy for him? Lastly, he BEGGED me for medicine! what 2 y/o really wants to take medicine!!?

godsgirl746

Asked by godsgirl746 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• swollen glands maybe ?
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• well maybe, but why, what could that mean?
    godsgirl746

Answer by godsgirl746 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The beginning of a cold perhaps or some sort of infection brewing .

My daughter is very sensitive to pain , she complained 2 nights in a row her ears were hurting sooo badly (she is also 2 years old) so finally I took her to the doctors today - he said she has the very beginnings of an ear infection , most people wouldn
    t be bothered but she is , extra sensitive I guess .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• That's the first sign from my sons that they're coming down with croup. (not saying that's what your son has though)

Start treating him now for a cold...elevate the head of his bed, start the humidifer (cool mist or steam), up the liquids giving him as much to drink as he wants. If he complains too much, give him some Tylenol for the discomfort. (I have learned if they have a sore throat NOT to give any cold medicines with cough suppressants....makes the croup MUCH worse!!)

It could be a cold coming on...or if you're running the heat it could simply be the dry air. Run the humidifer and see if that helps. (my husband has a horrible time with dry air)

Then again...it could be he likes the taste of whatever medicine you gave him last!! LOL (I have three who willingly take medicine!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:09 AM on Jan. 1, 2009