Babys health... can i take him back home yet?

My boyfriends family (and baby & I, obviously) just moved into a new house... new because it's different than the old one.. not new as in modern. Biggest mistake EVER. I woke up Friday morning to water literally POURING into the basement... the house is a certified mess.smh. the sump pump backed up.. as did the septic tank, the water was literally past my knee, on its way upstairs to the kitchen. So the basement turned itself into a swimming pool, and excuse my language but there was literally SH*T floating around all willy nilly like nobodys business.. even after the water finally went down and got cleaned up, waste and toilet paper was still coming up... Naturally the first thing I did was pack up all my babys stuff and send it and him to my moms because we knew it was only a matter of time before the stench and mildew set in. Besides the fact that there was raw sewage in the "GD" basement. My baby was not about to be in that house. Well all the water is gone and dried. The landlord had the hole snaked and sucked and cleaned & all that good stuff.. the basement has been bleached with it seems like 50 gallons of Clorox . Its been a week tomorrow and there's still a slightly noticeable odor but its not as overpowering as it was..

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to make sure everyone got a clear picture.. so my question is when should I be able to take Mekhi back home? He turned 6 weeks yesterday btw. I'm really iffy about it... but I'm soooooo ready to get out of my mamas house and get back home where we can be fully comfortable... but I don't want my munkin in unsafe conditions.

xx0126xx

Asked by xx0126xx at 7:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Did the landlord have a professional cleaner in? Bleach doesn't kill a lot of the germs that are in a backup like that so there really needs to be a professional cleaner (one experienced in black water clean up) in. Otherwise, the contamination from the leak area can move from room to room in your house.

That's just my opinion of course, but I'd stay out until the landlord does that
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 7:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2011

• I would have someone from the health dept come out there and test the air. If they pass it, then move back in.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2011

• Did the city/town fix the sewer so you won't have problems again? I think calling the health department and asking them to inspect or to recommend someone is a great idea.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2011