What age should I start to potty train my son?

He is 17 months now. My dad is trying to force me to potty train him but I want to wait until he starts talking a little better. My question is what age should I start or try to potty train him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not an "age" thing - it's an "is he ready" thing.

Once he shows at least half of the readiness signs, he will probably do OK. If you start before that, you will be pulling your hair out and it will actually take longer than if you had waited.

About half of all children are ready by 2.5 years. That means the other half of all children aren't ready until AFTER 2.5 years. And boys frequently take a little longer than girls to get ready.

I know it's hard to ignore pressure from your own parents but for your son's sake, try. Tell your dad that child-rearing knowledge changes over the years as new information is discovered and old "truths" are exposed as false. Tell him you are following your doctor's advice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• That all depends on the child. I tried to potty train my daughter when she was almost 2 because my husbands cousin kept telling us stuff about how she should already be potty trained..and her kids were potty trained at about 1 year old. Well let me tell you, like the other person said...I was pulling out my hair because I couldn't get her to learn..so I decided not to lestin to anyone except for myself and my daughter. She wasn't ready so I put it on hold for a while. She learned at about 2 1/2 or so and since she was ready she learned right away...she wathed her 3 year old cousin go to the restroom by her self and so she wanted to also. I know my one year old isn't ready so i'm not even going to try untill I feel she is...(she's about 1 month younger than your kid)
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 4:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My son was 30 months old when I potty trained him and that was the perfect time for him. He could talk well and he was able to "get it". 17 months is way too young (in my opinion).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• If he can follow simple directions & express his needs to you (for example let you know when he wants a drink or picked up), he is old enough. Just keep it low pressure & don't expect it to happen overnight.
    Anonymous