Not sure what happened....

my two year old son woke up around 1am coughing really hard so i went into his room sat in his bed(twin size racecar bed) and tried to get him to take a drink....he wouldnt drink but then started throwing up a thick mucousy brown liquid. he coughed about ten min and would throw up after every few coughs....he refused to drink was holding his throat then fell asleep agagin....i stayed in his room for about a hour to make sure his breathing and everything was ok, it was.. so im not sure what was going on? anyone ever haad this happen? he was sick with a cold over the weekend im not sure if it was maybe the sinus drainage that caused it or not

jmccale

Asked by jmccale at 8:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like drainage. It was probably good that he threw it all up. It's hard for little kids to actually cough and spit it out. When he was coughing I imagine it was coming up in his throat, but not far enough to cough out, so it made him gag and barf.

Poor guy.

mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 9:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2011

• I agree with the previous poster, that being said you should probably take him to his pediatrician to get him checked out. If it is drainage your doc can make sure it's not something worse like pneumonia or bronchitis.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 3:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2011

• both my boys do this when they get into a coughing fit; they cough up a dark looking mucus type phlegm I would say take you child to the doctor and see what they say it is; he could have an inner ear infection; which would cause drainage and cause him to throw up also; it could also be Sinusitis; either way he needs to get to the doctor and be checked.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2011