My daughter is being excessivly clingy!

My 7 month old daughter has recently became extra clingy. I could be standing in front of her looking at her and she's fine but if I turn my back to her she screams until I look at her again. As soon as I turn around she goes to an instant smile. I was a stay at home mom up until she was 5 months old and then I began to work a 40 hour a week job so my husband took care of her. Then a week ago she was hospitalized for 6 days for pnemonia, and we both stayed in the hospital with her. Now that she's out of the hospital and my seasonal job has ended she is so clingy to me. I have to be either holding her or looking at her at all times. My husband can't even hold her, she begins to cry even before she leaves my hands into his. I'm just not sure what to do, I'm going to be starting school in less than a week and I'm just not sure what to do about her and the need for her to be with me at all times.

rylies_mum

Asked by rylies_mum at 11:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• before i read the rest i guessed she was 7 months old. My daughter did the EXACT same thing. I even discussed it w/ her pediatrician and the dr said she would be worried if she wasn't behaving that way. she said it is totally normal and healthy, said it reflects what a bond we have. i was flattered, but it was still nerve racking how much more my daughter was demanding my attention. i too like you went to work full time after being home with her and my husband kept her while i worked. she was a very big daddy's girl and then went through that all about mommy stage. it lasted a few months. now she's a momma and daddy's girl, but much more independent. good luck to you with school!
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 11:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Lots of babies go through this. I don't want to say you are "spoiling" her because I don't know your situation but that is my opinion on it. Babies at that age learn that when they cry you will give them attention, (hold them, look at them, etc.) My opinion is to not give in to her right away. If you put her on the floor and she starts to cry don't immediately pick her up. (Knowing that she's not hungry, or tired, or dirty diaper.) Let her cry it out a minute. She might stop, but after a few minutes if she's still crying pick her up and calm her down. Once she calms down put her back down and repeat..... Same steps with your husband, let him hold her even if she cries for a few minutes before you step in.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 11:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• she will be ok. just reassure her, and do not let her control your actions or else you are reinforcing her behavior. When my little girl was going through that stage, I would look at her and tell her that mommy has to go and _________, that she was welcome to come with me, but that I was not going to hold or carry her, I was going to ________. Then I would go and do what I intended to do, if she started to whine or cry I would call her to come and help me, but I would not go back and get her. When I was going to school it was online so the times that I had to do homework or such, I would have her play beside me on the floor or in the same room but would not let her on my lap. I would tell her no, mommy has to work, you can play next to me if you want. It worked great for me, maybe it will for you too. Keep in mind it is a phase and will not last forever unless you reward the behavior.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Normal!! My son is 7 months and cries whenever I leave to go to the bathroom. I can't pee without hearing that dang kid crying...lol
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 1, 2009