MMA for kids?

This may have already been discussed, but it's new to me. What are your thoughts on the 'UFC' style fighting for children? What is it exactly teaching children who participate in it? I'm very curious on what everyone thoughts are on this topic.

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 11:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My son has taken karate since he was five. He's nine now. It's not the same as MMA... the focus is more on the forms and the techniques- there is no sparring until age seven and at that point it's controlled sparring and no going to the face. There is a lot of focus on discipline and when it's appropriate to use karate as self-defence. My son has never been in a fight, but he has the confidence that he can throw a hard punch if he ever needed to, and he has learned a lot of karate as a martial art and as a sport.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2011

• Ridiculous to have children involved in something like that.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2011

• UFC fighting for children?!?!?

I wonder for those who are for it have ever seen UFC fights before!!!

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2011

• I don't really see the need of introducing my child to aggressive behavior and telling them it's OK. And the thought that a bully-type child would have that training freaks me out. That opens a whole can of worms. I think it's completely ludicrous

I'm gonna assume you have no experience in martial arts. I took TKD, had 2 belts left to get to black and i got pregnant. The core values that they expect you to know and follow and drill into you and the philosophy is totally opposite of aggressive behavior and bullying. The kid class which was taught by my uncle who is a 5th degree black belt spent half of the class time going over the core values, and what they mean. Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control and Indomitable Spirit. It's started very early teaching the kids that this is for you, and if you ever need to call on it to protect yourself then you will have it. I would rather my son take TKD than another sport
    IndigoP5ycho

Answer by IndigoP5ycho at 10:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2011

• As soon as my daughter is 6 she will be signed up for it, she really wants to. Its is just like putting them in anyother type of classes like karate it still teaches them how to fight and defend themselfs. But it also teached disipline! I do not see what the big deal is, I have see UFC fighting and I do not have a problem with my daughter doing it since she wants to!!
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2011

• I do not think it's ridiculous at all.
    I currently have an 8 yr old girl who takes TaeKwonDo lessons twice a week, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu lessons once a month, and MMA/UFC fighting and submission wrestling once a month. She LOVES it. This is after her brief affair with boxing and kickboxing of course!
    She works with an ex Marine who teaches self defense and is a MMA competitor, and a Nationally Ranked submission specialist in the Junior MMA divisions-she takes it very seriously.
    As long as she wants to do it, I will let her and we are very proud of her.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2011

• She started MMA in March, but was in boxing about 2 years ago.
    The studio where she does TKD has tripled with children since it opened in March. They can hardly contain all the kids, there seems to be a great interest in it. I only did it because my daughter is rough and likes to fight, she was just born that way. We have kids as young as 4 and alot of girls. The submission wrestling was recommended to me by the mom of the ranked junior division member, she homeschools 3 kids and used MMA to keep her son from using his strength inappropriately.
    I am not sure if I would recommend it to just anyone, the kid has to have an interest in it to begin with. For us, it was just a way to channel my daughters interest in sizing up other kids and her desire to see what other kids were made of. The physical fitness is a huge plus as is the respect for authority and self discipline she is also required to learn to speak Korean.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2011

• Just what I need my kids going to school with other kids who are trained to kick a**. I think for most kids it would be OK but I don't really see the need of introducing my child to aggressive behavior and telling them it's OK. And the thought that a bully-type child would have that training freaks me out. That opens a whole can of worms. I think it's completely ludicrous.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 3:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2011

• I LOVE UFC!!! Anyway, I think martial arts taught appropriately is a good thing for a child. My boys take Tae Kwon Do and they love it!! Their teacher is VERY strict about telling them they are NOT to go around starting fights and that they are to only use what they learn in class as a last resort to defend themselves. We tell our boys not to go around telling anyone and everyone that they are even TAKING Tae Kwon Do because it makes other kids want to pick a fight with them just to see what would happen.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2011

• Yes.. hubby and son are huge mma ufc fans we hav emy 10 year old in a mma type program. I dont see harm in it personally ~Amy
    AmyJacobs

Answer by AmyJacobs at 11:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2011