What do you look for in a home business?

What is more important to you...
Compensation Plan?
Networking?
Product?
Short term vs. Long term money possibilities?
How well you know of the company?
The person that signed you up?
There presentation?
How much it costs to join?
Membership fee?
Or anything else you can think of...

mrssfoster

Asked by mrssfoster at 11:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Money & Work

• The first thing I look at is the product or service. I have learned if it's not a product or service I can really get pationate about it's not a business I want to waist my time with.
    Second I look at the business structure itself. What will I actually do. I have two small children and NO ONE to leave them with. So I don't want parties. I also don't want to have tons of "Stuff" in my house because my kids will eventually get in to it. And I don't have access to a car most the time so deliveries are just not something I can do easily. 

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:58 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• None... I prefer to start my own business. Why would you want to work for someone else, when you can work for yourself with no money for start up. By the way, I have some excellent ideas at www.stuffformoms.info, if you want to know what I am referring to.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• THOSE ARE ALL EXCELLENT QUESTIONS AND THEY ARE ALL IMPORTANT WHEN CONSIDERING WHAT BUSINESS TO CHOOSE. SOMETIMES THE $ AMOUNT YOU SPEND TO START IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE SUPPORT AND TRAINING YOU RECEIVE. PRODUCT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, IS IT AFFORDABLE AND SOMETHING EVERYONE CAN BUY AND USE. SOMEONE NEW WHO IS DEDICATED CAN SOMETIMES BE MORE HELPFUL TO YOU THAN SOMEONE THAT HAS BEEN AROUND LONGER AND HAS NO INTENTION OF HELPING YOU GET WHERE THEY ARE AT.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 2:19 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Third, the compansation plan. I have learned that commission presentage is not everything. If you are recieving 50% of an item that people only need to by every 6 months you will make less than if you earn 30% of a service that is paid monthly... I also look at the advancement possibilities. And the compensation that is attached.
    Forth. The investment. And not just the initial investment but overhead. TOTAL overhead. Including books, advertisement and sample items (if aplicable).

All in All I believe I have found the best possible business for me! I love what I do! I have a low overhead. No stocking, no delivering, no parties and have the ability to earn forever from just one "sale".

• Oh, and I almost forgot. I also look in to the training and support. I worked with so many businesses that had very little of either. I want to know that if I have a problem that I will have help getting it fixed. I'm not a business major and from time to time need help. I want to know that the help and support is there for me should I need it, when I need it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 AM on Jan. 1, 2009