My lonely child

lately I have been wondering on what i should to keep her occupied sometimes we do activities together and read stories or watch tv. but alot of the time i see her in her room playing by herself because sometimes I am to tired when I come home from work to find things for us to do and I just want to rest. so what else should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you come home tired but want to spend quality time with her, have her read you her favorite book, sing you some songs, put on a puppet show with her stuffed animals, or cuddle with you and talk about her day. All of those things can be done from the comfort of your sofa. If you give her some notice, she could spend all day dreaming up the play she'll put on for you when you come home. Ask her to write and illustrate a book for her to present to you when you get home. Get a book of wacky mad libs to do together. There's SO much you can do as a spectator that will help your daughter to feel loved and included and it will be the quality time you both crave.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 11:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with her playing in a room by herself. She will just get creative when doing so.

Anonymous

• My son and I go to a mommy and me class, they have a night class as well. We both love it, he gets time with other kids and I get grown up conversation. Like the other mom said though, building an imagination is a good thing as well. My son plays as well by himself as he does with others. It took my husband alot of talk before he made me believe it.LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I know what it is like to be so tired that all you want to do is rest. Sometime all that matters is that you are there with them, and playing by herself will help her build her imagination. If you feel like you are not spending enough time with her just try laying down and watching a movie together, or just playing a simple board game together. Remember it is quality not quantity.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I was an only child and I had to learn to play by myself. I think it is a good thing for kids to learn to play by themselves, and I wish my kids were better at it. They are close in age and tend to do everything together, but I think it is good for them to have some alone time, too. My advise is to do the best you can and do quiet things together when you are tired. I think as long as your are there for your kids and they know that you love them, that is the most important thing. Letting them help you do chores is also a good way to spend time together and still get things done. Kids always love helping do grown up things.
    pbgibson

Answer by pbgibson at 3:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Consider yourself lucky your child will play by herself. Our kid's generation is raised for instant gratification, and to constantly be entertained. I know 2 year olds that can't play by themselves.

You're doing fine, mama! I have the same worries a lot. My DD is 6, and I don't do half the stuff she wants to do, but I make sure we do something "special" every day. (Reading a couple books, just coloring a page or 2 together, baking, even just cuddling on the couch and watching a movie, which I fall asleep during, every time) as long as you consistantly take time together with her, she will be fine. It's not that you are neglecting your daughter at all! If you feel guilty because you're tired, tell her you're tired, and ask her if she wants to cuddle and watch a movie while you take a small nap.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009