I'm 30 wks, first baby . . . Is a childbirth class REALLY necessary?

mj19

Asked by mj19 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• take it!!
    mommy_kenzie

Answer by mommy_kenzie at 4:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• for your first baby I would say yes. They say you should take it even when it's your 2nd or more but I only took it on my first child. I think you should because it gets you more prepared for your birth...I know that you can handle breathing but it'll teach your partner how to help you breath...trust me when your giving birth your not going to want to breath right, but if you breath too fast you'll get light headed, that's why your labor partner is there to help you and you both should go to the class.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 4:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Maybe you should, IF you feel the need to. I didnt take classes with either of my children...and I was fine.
    Boodahbear0608

Answer by Boodahbear0608 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It certainly can't hurt anything. We learned a little but I am totally a research person so I had read tons and tons of books so most of it I already knew!
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 5:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I was scheduled to go, but just didnt want to sit in the hospital for 4 hours(10 till 2)...so i didnt go. I don't regret it, but I wish I had learned more about breastfeeding, then maybe I could have done it. I read a lot of books and watched A Baby Story religiously
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 5:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It is not necessary, but it iws extremely helpful...especially if this is your first child. It helps to know what to expect and it also helps your spouse know what to expect.
    titusmommy

Answer by titusmommy at 6:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I never went to any. You can basically learn everything on the internet or tv. My labor went just fine. I was fully dilated in 8 hours and the baby came out alright. =]
    DementedPsyche

Answer by DementedPsyche at 8:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It can be somewhat educational, but in my opinion what they teach is more medical. I wanted to learn more about natural options. I was glad I took the classes. I learned about breathing techniques and all of that fun stuff. However, during labor, I never even thought of a single thing I learned.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Its your responsiblity to be informed, the classes will teach you what to expect, i didnt know about the tests and things they had to do and what things were ellective untill i took the class.
    knowledge is power. and it will help with the anxiety of not knowing what to expect, i suggest to take it, im glad i did
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• It depends on your expectations, what you want from the experience. What is your condfidence like? Do you have faith in the normal process of birth?

I have taken a dozen classes over the years and love to be reassured, ask questions in-person, connect with other parents-to-be, and dedicate time to focus on learning (especially with DH).If you decide against going to class then consider a birth doula instead.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2008