Is it illegal to spank a child?

I really don't know. Is it? Are there limitations? Rules to follow if you do?

I have never spanked but I am not opposed to it. I would just do it as a very last resort. Never had to get that far though.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://kidjacked.com/legal/spanking_law.asp

Here it is, state by state..

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• no it is not,. as long as you don't leave bruises or welts/i tap on the butt never hurt any one
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• its not to a certin point your not allowed to leave marks on a child or it is child abuse
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• it isn't so called illegal but u can have DSS called on u if the wrong person see's it and calls them on u and even if they come out and don't find anything then u will have to deal with them for a while because they will come out and check up on things for a while...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• In some states there are spanking laws, I know where my sister lives (California) that if you spank in public you can be arrested.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It should be.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• disipline is one thing...sometimes i feel like my son could use it...but my mother abused it so i can see how people are against it.... i think time out and no snacks are more effective...by giving them "spankings" i think it teaches them its okay to hit (under certain things)...when under no circumstances is it....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Spanking in and of itself is not. Nor should it be.

Some people, however, equate spanking with beating/abuse. There is a difference.

You'd have to check the laws in your state for spanking in public...but what/how you discipline in your own home.....that's up to you.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:17 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It isn't as long as it is on the butt and with the palm of your hand, in GA at least. I have seen kids get their butts spanked in public and saw no problem. If you call CPS and tell them you saw and woman spank her kid on the butt, they will laugh at you.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Yes and no. I beat my son with an extension cord and, of course, left marks. He wrote about it in his journal at school and teacher called Child Protective Services. They came, unannounced, to my home and interviewed me. I told them I refused to let any child of mine disrespect, disobey or challenge me and that, given the circumstances, I'd do it again. They gave me a high five, wrote me the pen letter I requested certifying "nonfounded." Basically, they don't wana see marks on child.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:10 AM on Jan. 1, 2009