how can i avoid gestational diabetes?

im 19 weeks pregnant and really scared of getting it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The only thing you can do is limit your carb intake. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and protein. You really can't prevent it though. Your pancreas is going to react the way it will with the pregnancy hormones. Having GD wasn't so bad...It saved me from gaining a ton of weight.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Sorry...there is nothing that you can do to prevent it... Gestational Diabetes doesn't affect every woman for one simple reason... it is caused by the placenta inhibiting insulin from reaching the baby, so the baby's body naturally produce and excess to counteract what the placenta is doing in your body.
    GD can sometimes be managed by proper diet and exercise, although some women need to be on insulin. There are several ramifications to having GD that is not managed properly: high birth weight, low birth weight, jaundice, low blood sugar after delivery for mom and baby, baby is at risk for juvenile diabetes later on, mom is at risk for Type 2 within 10 yrs of the first diagnosis, difficult deliveries that can cause broken clavicles, etc.., and lastly a stillborn.
    Continued...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:21 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Continued...
    I've had it twice.. the first time our daughter Kahlan was stillborn at 36 weeks due to it being mishandled.
    When I got pg the last time in 08', I was very high risk and monitored closely. I had weekly u/s, weekly NST's, and was insulin dependent. My dd was born 6 weeks early due to my GD, hypertension and Pre-E( diagnosed the day I delivered). They checked Karli's blood sugar for about a week in NICU, but all was well. We will have to check her for JD as she matures, and I am at risk now that I've had it twice.
    IF you are diagnosed, follow the diet, stay away from caffeine, sugar, & carbs and drink lots of water... this will help a lot. Also exercise as much as is comfy for you as long as you are not on bed rest. I was on complete bed rest for most of my pregnancy, so I was unable to exercise.
    If you have any questions, let me know... I've done tons of research on it now.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:26 AM on Jan. 1, 2009