A Hard fall?

My Eight month old, has been sitting up on his own for about 2 months now. Today, he fell straight back from sitting, causing him to hit his head pretty hard on the floor (which has no cushin)... and he cried for about 5 minutes, I did my best to comfort him. Now, he's asleep but seems to have a cold sweat.. Should I take him to the ER? He's not runnning a temp.. could the two be related???
Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• concussions don't lead to cold sweats so I don't think it's related to the fall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• If you are that worried I would. I have been told to keep them awake for about 2 hrs after a fall or they hit their head, if you don't see any change then they are ok. I don't think that the cold sweats are related.
    ncmamaof5a

Answer by ncmamaof5a at 3:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• For the next 48 hours:

Watch the pupils...make sure they stay equal and react to light equally.

For the first 24, make sure he will stir in his sleep every couple of hours. No need to wake him, just make sure he will stir.

Watch for vomiting and/or diarrhea (loose stools 6-8 times per day). If his occurs, have him seen.

Watch his mood/actions. If there is a significant change or balance is hard to maintain (seems dizzy) have him seen.

I would think he's okay. I don't think the "cold sweat" is related. Just keep an eye on him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• A friend of mine's daughter fell...after the 1st 6hrs if your baby seems to be ok, I wouldn't worry...but keep an eye out for any changes. If you are worried, call your pediatrician.
    CrystalMayrand

Answer by CrystalMayrand at 12:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2009