help!!!! she's screaming, won't eat, and no diapers!!!!

she is only a day and a half old. she pood 5 times at the hospital, but since we brought her home today at 230 NOTHING! It's been 12 hrs w/ no wet/dirty diapers and now she won't even suckle for the past couple hours. gas drops didnt helP!

DO I NEED TO GO TO THE ER? SHE'S BEEN SCREAMING FOR OVER AN HOUR

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 4:19 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know if it's too late, but you can always call the nurses at the hospital. It could save you a trip to the ER and they are easier to get a hold of in the middle of the night than your ped would be. Those first days home they are always will to take your calls and answer your questions. I hope Baby is feeling better though.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:20 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Umm.. Why are you giving a brand new baby gas drops?
    She's probably been screaming because you have been stressed out.
    Sit down, try to relax. Hop in the tub with her if that helps..
    Squeeze a little bit of milk/colostrum out of your nipple, and dab it on her lips and try to get her to take the breast.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I would take her to the ER or at least call your pedi and see what she says
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 5:31 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• are you breast feeding? If you don't have anything coming in..and baby hasn't had wet diaper's, that is probably why..she's not getting enough fluids..you said she's not eating? I think you should substitute and go get a few bottles and some formula..then she should go to the bathroom..and no more gas drop's, too young! If after trying the formula, she still does not pee or poop then YES go to Doc..or emerg!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Call a doula or lactation consultant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• there's nothing wrong with giving a newborn gas drops.

take your baby to the ER.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 9:10 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My son did the same thing...after ER visits & doctor visits...we finally had to switch him to soy formula. My son screamed for like 9hrs off & on until I gave him a suppository. The next day at the ER the Xray showed his little tummy full of bowels & gas. CALL YOUR DOC!! Oh, and gas drops are perfectly safe...I had a nurse tell me this: They are safe enough to give at every feeding.
    CrystalMayrand

Answer by CrystalMayrand at 12:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I agree with Liyoness. Calm down, take a warm bath, swaddle her, keep putting her to your breast. Formula is only going to bind her up more and won't help your milk come in because you won't have any stimulation. Colostrum is exactly what she needs right now.
    Anonymous

• BTW- milk does not come in for most women until around day 3. Our bodies were designed perfectly, as were babies. She's not starving because all you're making is colostrum. This is actually the best milk you will ever give her, filled with the most nutrients.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2009