My five month old won't take a bottle!! HELP!

I can't leave him with a sitter or anything. How can I get him to take a bottle?? He has be exclusively BF'd. He used to take pumped milk from a bottle but recently he just WON'T do it. DH and I had to run home last night at like 10:00 because he was freaking out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my 5 1/2 month old! I corrected it by pumping everyday and having daddy feed her a bottle. I don't know if this is similar to you or not, but I never fed my daughter out of a bottle. The only time she got a bottle with expressed breast milk is when someone else was watching her or I was sick. I think the mixture of being in a different situation (me not being there and her being in the care of someone else) and not being able to nurse caused her to refuse the bottle. Once we started giving her a bottle more often, it completely solved the problem. Hope this helps!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 6:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• With situations like this, its best to call your doctor. Are you feeding him formula now? Maybe he's ready for formula and not BM. No one here can trully quell your fears, so I'd ask my doctor. Or look up online: www.doctorslounge.com/ask.htm & www.mdadvice.com are great sites.
    cthorn14

Answer by cthorn14 at 8:22 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I don't use formula and I really don't want to. My son doesn't like it (I was forced to use it two months ago when I had an MRI). He nurses fine, he just doesn't want the bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My son is the same way. Good Luck! Mine is 16 months and doesn't need one now but never took one when he was younger... Not once...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:16 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• maybe he's teething. My son didn't want anything except to be bf when he started teething.
    _muffin_

Answer by _muffin_ at 9:17 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• With situations like this, its best to call your doctor. Are you feeding him formula now? Maybe he's ready for formula and not BM.

Oh gooness! That is certainly not the answer. I would try a few different types of bottles. Maybe a sippy cup or a dropper would help you as well. Don't switch to formula over something so small. My son never took a bottle. Yes, it limited my time away but now that he's older it doens't matter. He's fine with my leaving and being gone as long as I need to be and he just nurses when I get back.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Don't worry, I am not interested in switching to formula. I will try these suggestions out, but BM is still what I will feed my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Maybe try a sippy. My son took the Nuby brand with flexible nipple at 7 months. He never liked a bottle either, so I just followed his lead & took him with us wherever we went. I would absolutely not go to formula--blah! If he doesn't want a bottle, he surely won't want that nasty tasting stuff in it. Good luck.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Reading through these answers as made me quite sad. I exclusively breast fed my Son for over 2 years and loved every second of it but when my Daughter was born she wanted nothing to do with breastfeeding, I did it for the first four months much to her dismay but it finally reached the point where she would absolutly refuse to nurse or take BM from a bottle. I felt horrible for having to put her on formula and felt like a failure as a mother. I very quickly realized that as long as I was feeding my child it didn't matter what she was eating and that I was a phenominal Mother. I did what I had to do and I hate hearing people like most of you all putting down formula feeding. While Breast is best, sometimes we have no other choice. My Daughter is just as healthy as my Son and no worse for the wear. I know no one was trying to be hurtful it just came across that way.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 2:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My Daughter is 3 1/2 months and I've been BF her also and I'm having the same issues. I didn't give her a pacifier in the beginning, but I had to just to be able to give her a bottle of BM. She takes the pacifier fine, but the bottle, whether its BM or formula, I can't get her to take it regularly. I'm also having a prblem with her just sucking on me when she's sleepy, I'm assuming its because she's fighting her sleep.
    IshIsh04

Answer by IshIsh04 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2009