confused on foods for 6 1/2 month old!

My son's going to be 7 months on Jan 14th..I'm trying to figure out what I can start giving him, after he's alrd been through pretty much all the stage one foods. I gave him a "from 6 months" food just recently, mixed veggies! It was thicker, and he made a face and gagged too while eating it. I'm just curious, does this mean he's probably not ready for thicker food?? I see all the stage 2 food's are thicker...and most say 8 months on them. I'm so confused as to what to be giving a 7 month old without making him choke, or sick etc. Any advice, I'd like to know what other mommy's out there are feeding they're 7 month old babies!

aidansmyheart

Asked by aidansmyheart at 8:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The stage 2's I used were no thicker than stage 1's...and they were more cost effective. The main difference is the size of the jar and mixtures. More than likely, it was the taste more than texture. Make sure you read the labels on the mixtures, too....a lot of them will have a new food you'll need to "try" him on...one they didn't have as a single ingredient.

At his age, you can also start trying finger and/or table foods......
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• every baby is different, so if he's fine on stage one, stay there for a bit longer. he'll be getting almost all of his nourishment through formula or breastmilk anyway, so there is no need to rush. if you want to try the thicker foods, you can mix his formula or bm in the food and try it. or mix a bit of rice cereal in the stage one stuff to make that a bit thicker.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• if he is happy with what he has, keep on giving it! try the stage 2s again in a few weeks.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 9:09 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My dd has been on stage 2 foods for awhile now. But every baby is different. Like TiccledBlue said, they're not actually thicker, they are just a bigger size and alot of them have multiple ingredients as opposed to only one. Every baby is different so just watch your son's reactions to these foods and make your own educated decision. You know your baby best. My dd also gagged the first time I fed her stage 1 green beans. It may just be that he didn't like whatever you were trying to feed him. GL!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 10:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I give my 7month old stage 2 foods from the start. I started with applesauce because it is the easiest usually for babies. He rejected anything but my breasts for the first week, but I kept offering him food until he finally accepted it. Now he eats almost any safe food i offer. He is my third child and i did different methods of feeding with each since each child is different. It may take 15 times or more before a baby will accept a new food.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Gerber Stage 2s are pretty much the exact same. If he is still hugry after one stage 1 jar, just give him another one. Sometimes I give my son (who is 6months) 2 stage 1 jars...and sometimes he eats a stage 2...but it is really up to your baby & what you are comfortable with.
    CrystalMayrand

Answer by CrystalMayrand at 11:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2009