What does this statement mean? I can put you on my flight benefit and we fly standby

what is a flight benefit and what is stand by?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It means that you can fly for free but non-rev (standby). I assume you know what standby means. My sister has worked in the airline industry for 20 years and it is called different things depending on the company. Some companies refer to them as buddy passes, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• standby means you will get to fly if there are cancellations or underbooking...which usually happens. You just don't get to reserve your spot.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Yeah...agree with above. YOu get tickets but you have to wait till everyone else checks in to see if youre going to get a seat on the plane. If its overbooked, then no, if theres availabliity then yes. My mom used to fly on buddy passes from her sil in Denver.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• somebody gets the benefit of flying for free fromt their employer but they have to fly standby. if there is an empty seat after everyone is loaded on, the seat goes to the employee for free (and to you as "on the benefit")
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 11:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2009