I have a 3 month old daughter and I am breastfeeding her. When will I get my period?

After I had her, I bled for about a month and then it just went away. I know that I am not pregnant again but I just wanted to see if anyone else knew. I was told since I was breastfeeding that it might throw my system off. Thanks!

Mom-plus-five

Asked by Mom-plus-five at 9:32 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Health

• It depends. If you are exclusively breastfeeding, it can take months for your body to resume it's normal cycle. That is why it is not recommended as a form of birth control (it's an old wives tale that if you are breastfeeding you cannot become pregnant). There is really no way to predict when your cycle will return to normal. Sorry, you'll just have to hang in there and wait for nature. Good luck!
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 9:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It varies from mom to mom. I didn't get my period until my son was 11 months old. ANd up until 6 months if you are exclusively nursing(no solids!) and don't have a period breastfeeding is a resonable birth control method. It's called LAM, and it is %98-99 effective.

http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/lam_page2.html
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• when you're breast feeding your period may or may not come on. That's why they tell you to always use protection when having sex and breast feeding cuz you can still get pregnant even though you're not technically ovulating (trust me, this happend to me) My period didnt come on the whole time I was breast feeding (6 months) just enjoy not having a period becuz it will be back eventually
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• There's no way to know until it shows up, unfortunately.

With my oldest son I got my period back at 4 months post partum. (He breastfed until 11.5 months)

With my daughter I never got my period back. I had my first ovulation at 8 months post partum... I know that because I got pregnant lol! (She breastfed until about 9.5 months).

With my youngest son my period didn't show up until 10 months PP. (He breastfed until 13 months).
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 6:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2009