am i being a 'bad' mother by not wearing a bra and by not insisting my teen daughter wear one(the subject's never come up between us)?

I quit wearing a bra while in the later stages of my first pregnancy(with my daughter)because what I had stopped fitting and I just never went back to wearing a bra.My teen daughter has never worn a bra and the subject's never come up between us

GIRL_ROBYN

Asked by GIRL_ROBYN at 4:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• i don't think your being a bad mother, i think your limited your daughters options by not talking to her bout it regardless if it didn't come up in a convo between you too. i didn't talk to my mother bout sex cuz it never came up and i ended up a teen parent. so let your daughter know she has the option of wearing a bra, if she still choses not to wear one at least you know you gave her the door to walk through. but i don't understand why she wouldn't want to wear one, not to be hurtfull but it tends to be tacky to not present yourself in a womenlly fashion, espeically the way teenage girl tease and bully others around. i know she might not want to be in the "in" crowd but wearing a bra should be more for her self preservation. thats my take on it
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Sorry but I think yall should wear them when around guys because not wearing them shows a lot more than otherwise and men are easily tempted into lust.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think the need for a bra depends on the breast size and the fabric of the shirt. IF you have large nipples that are showing thru the material then yes you need one, if you are very large chested you need one...otherwise go without.
    bamabi7

Answer by bamabi7 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• What?! is it a law to wear a bra?
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 4:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My mother never wore a bra around us and when I started developing as a teenager I wore a bra 24/7 because I didn't want people looking at me like they looked at her. If it bothers you seeing her without one, she probably feels the same about you.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I don't think you're being a bad Mom. I think you could be running the risk of damaging breast tissue if yours or hers are large. C cup is considered 'large breasted' Without the support the muscles stretch and lose elasticity.
    Anonymous

• No but to be the best mom you can you should talk to her about her options, including the pros & cons of both wearing & not wearing one.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• it is your choice to wear or not wear one,some people dont wear underwear, its personal choice, it dosent make you a bad parent by any means
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• There actually are a lot of people who don't wear bras. I don't think its being a bad mother because bras don't really do anything for a person's health unless a very large size, and then they add support for the back and reduce back aches. But I would talk to her and tell her that in this society most women wear bras. Let her know that without bras and wearing a thin shirt the nipples can make their presence known and be embarassing, or she may sag or flop around (depending on size). But let her know its her choice.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I like the freedom of not wearing a bra. I don't think it is necessary for me, personally speaking. I do now, because my breasts a significantly larger due to breastfeeding. I didn't before with a B cup. Now I am a D, so I am doing us all a favor! When I didn't I would always wear a tank top sometimes 2 and then a shirt, or just two tank tops. I didn't want to call attention to them, but I wanted to be me. :) You aren't a bad mother. Perhaps talk to her about your choice to not wear one and that you are more than happy to buy her some if she wants them. I am sure she knows what a bra is and that other girls wear them. Just let her know that you are supportive of her and whatever she wants to do.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2008