Help! My very stubborn 3 1\2 old boy wants notheing to do with potty training. I've tried bribes, peer pressure, shooting at cheerios(he got very upset because he wanted to eat them) I have cool super hero undies all ready for him.

chris48

Asked by chris48 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try this, even tho being the cold months will make it much harder. Remember that the premise of some of the Big Kid pampers is that if the child can feel the wetness,he won't like it so much and be more motivated. If you can't afford these pants, considering you might go thru dozens of boxes which could be expensive, I'd put him in regular big boy underpants and put plastic pants over them (the ones used with cloth diapers.) I would never ever make a big deal about this and simply say tom. morning "Ok, son, its time to wear undershorts just like daddy's. If you have an accident, you'll need to go and put on dry pants and clean yourself up in the bathroom." Say this gently, kindly and lovingly. Your intent isn't to make more trouble for yourself, or frustrate him, but he is old enough to learn.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:18 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• continued....:) Believe me, I've raised 4 to adulthood and this works everytime. :) Then each time you or daddy go to the bathroom, simply ask him to go along. He needn't go in when you go, but let him stand outside the door, to teach him respect and privacy, but let him go in and potty along with dad, never making much ado. Learning to eliminate should be very natural. Making it a trick to get treats makes many children use it as a control issue. Every human wants to be able to control themself, and this is one way he can push the adult button. :) Its working. LOL
    lifeasinoit

• maybe you could go to your pediatrician and see what they reccomend? they always have the best advice for each age. I have heard if you push it too hard, they fight back and refuse to do it. I put a little kid potty next to our toilet, and when i sit down my kid sits on his next to me.......he doesnt use it yet, but just little steps! sometimes i let him go without a diaper, and if he pees i show him that we go in the potty...little stuff.....dont force it though!
    lucyblue112

Answer by lucyblue112 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I am going through the exact same thing with my 3 year old son! My mother suggested instead of letting him run around naked or with a diaper, just put the undies on him by themselves, that way when he pees it gets on him. I know it sounds messy but its the only way (besides going through 3 boxes of pull ups) that he can know what happens when he pees and where it needs to go. When he pees, simply bring him to the bathroom and set him on his toilet. Repetition is the key and not to get frustrated with him. Accidents are normal and should not be punished. Just be patient. Start with learning at home, and eventually when you are in public you can work on adult toilets. Good luck!
    AdventureBetty

Answer by AdventureBetty at 10:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Ultimately, he has to make the choice of going or not. When my son was potty learning - mostly at daycare, but I reinforced everything at home - once he showed he COULD go, he was put into underwear - you can go with training (thicker) or regular. Yes, he had LOTS of accidents - I'd sometimes get 3 pairs of underwear a day to take home and clean, plus additional underwear in the evening after accidents. It took months, but going back to pull-ups for the daytime sent the wrong message. The idea is to help him feel confident that he can do it, no matter how many accidents he has. When he does have an accident, let him clean himself up (as best he can), but be there to offer your help only after he has asked for it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It's been my experience with boys (3 of them) that they will use the potty only when THEY decide they want to. The more you push, the longer it takes.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2009