• In the Spotlight:

how long does a can of baby formula last?

I wanna get it early, I want to buy it today but I am due on Jan.20 will it last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it remains close, it is good for like 2 years, there is a date on the bottom. Once opened, it is only good for 30 days.
    holykids

Answer by holykids at 10:17 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Check the experation date. once its opened only 30 days :) good luck
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I have a can of formula right here so I can tell you exactly. It's the kind WIC gives you, "Good Start Supreme" ...its concentrated so you have to add water. We bought it a few weeks ago and it expires in April 2009, so if you buy some it should be fine in Jan =] If you have mixed the formula with water it only stays good 24 hours in the fridge. If the can is opened but still in concentrate it stays good 48 hours in the fridge. Just curious..where did you guys get 30 days?
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• The can of powdered formula lasts 30 days once opened. Powdered is also more cost effective....more for your money. Here WIC provides Enfamil.

If you're going to buy some, I wouldn't stock too far up in advance. Only because I had two of my sons need a different formula for a while...my oldest ended up going to soy until he went to milk, and my youngest had to be on Gentlease for a while shortly after birth. But...to have a couple of cans on the shelf to be there when you get home...nothing wrong with that! I would just check the dates stamped on that particular can.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• You should be fine, your due in less than a month! Just don't open it
    the1youluv2hate

Answer by the1youluv2hate at 10:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• ah yes! I completely forgot about the powdered formula. I haven't bought that since my daughter was a few months old. now I feel dumb -.-
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• As for shelf life? I think that's been answered. If you're getting the small powdered cans they last about 3-4 days, and the big $25 cans last about a week.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• powdered formula is good for 30 days (in general) after you open it. As long as you don't open it up then it's fine.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Everybody is right...the shelf life is pretty long, so you'd be fine to buy it now. Powdered is good for 30 days once opened and a big can lasts about a week...more for a newborn. I didn't start formula until my daughter was 6 or 7 months old and it lasted about a week then.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I am not understanding about the big cans lasting a week? I thought all powder formula lasted up to 30 days opened?
    Anonymous