Is Developmental Delay a generic term?

My son has ADHD and Developmental Delay. Is this a generic term because there are some specific problems he has that I think need to be addressed. He is 7 almost 8 and I am very confused. I am taking him to a therapist but to be honest I don't know who I need to be taking him to! I am not getting much help from the school and even though I have talked to his teacher it doesn't seem to be getting through that there is a major problem! Help!

norest4theweary

Asked by norest4theweary at 11:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Basically, it means that your child is not progressing cognitively, physically, emotionally, or socially than the average child.  Here is a great site for you to get some more info:

http://www.healthofchildren.com/D/Developmental-Delay.html

mdrgator10

Answer by mdrgator10 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Developmental delay is a pretty broad term. It can refer to a lot of different developmental issues. It could be speech, cognition, motor skills, etc. My son has a speech delay, but no other developmental delays. He sees a speech therapist. I also have a daughter with ADHD and no other developmental issues. She originally saw a psychiatrist, but is now with a Pediatric Developmental Specialist, which I like much better.

I think you need to find out specifically what areas your son is behind in if you don't already know. Whoever did your son's testing should be able to discuss the results with you and explain to you what his specific issues are. If you don't find them helpful, then a pediatric developmental specialist might be a good start.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• I had to push to have him tested through the school and they waited until the end to do it. In fact his results didn't get to me until the day before school ended. I don't know who to take him to and the person who tested him wasn't clear on any specifics! I am lost! I don't know where to take him but I know he needs help. I think there are some specific problems that need to be addressed but I always get the same answer....wait and see! I don't want to wait! I believe the earlier the better to get some problems fixed! He was asked a few weeks ago to recite the alphabet and couldn't remember all of it. My heart cries for him. Do you have any idea how or who I should contact? Thank you for resonding. I am not meaning to sound as though I am not appreciative! I just sincerely need help here.
    norest4theweary

Comment by norest4theweary (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• My advice is call your pediatrician and ask for a referal to a pediatric developmental specialist. When you are dealing with the school system they sometimes require that children be delayed to a fairly significant degree before they can place them in any special programs. My son would not qualify for speech services through the public school system, but he was behind and did need some help. Going through our doctor worked pretty well for us. My son has a prescription for speech therapy, and our insurance does cover some of the cost. The Pediatric Developmental Specialist we use for our daughter is not a provider for our insurance company, so that is entirely out-of-pocket.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• contact the autasim support groups or web md and also look for support groups from mom;s with similar. wish you luck what state are u from maybe I could help find some info.
    kealey

Answer by kealey at 1:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• I'm in SC. Thanks for wanting to help me. I actually see some autistic traits in him. My step son has Aspergers as well so it could be genetic. I just feel like I am not being heard and it's hard to narrow down where to go for the best help. I have searched the web and all I get is more confusion because I see trait's in a lot of different areas and I just simply don't know any more.
    norest4theweary

Comment by norest4theweary (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• My son was diagnosed with a developmental delay before he was old enough for them to "label" him with autism. Does your son have an IEP? If he has a diagnosis from a professional, then you should be able to get him one and the school/teacher would be legally obligated to follow it.

Answer by missanc at 3:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Yes developmentally delayed is a generic term. Mental retardation, autism, asperger's, ADD, ADHD and more are all considered developmental delays.
    ClairesMom318

Answer by ClairesMom318 at 2:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2011

• THANK YOU BOTH. YES HE DOES HAVE AN IEP FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION BUT THEY COME TO THE ROOM FOR ABOUT 2HOURS A FEW TIMES A WEEK TO HELP HIM READ. I AM HAVING TO FOLLOW THEM CLOSELY BUT THEN AGAIN IT'S MY DUTY AS A PARENT TO BE ON TOP OF THINGS. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT Mental retardation, autism, asperger's, ADD, ADHD FELL UNDER THIS CATEGORY. THAT HELPS GET A LITTLE CLEARER VIEW. IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND MY ASKING HOW DO YOU KNOW THESE THINGS OR I GUESS WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS WHAT'S YOUR STORY? I APPRECIATE THE HELP THAT I HAVE GOTTEN FROM THIS SITE. IT REALLY DOES EASE MY MIND! THANKS!
    norest4theweary

Comment by norest4theweary (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2011