Logic and Religion?

I see that a lot of people are using phrases like "a church that's right for you" or "religion that's right for you". And I know that is a pretty modern concept, but don't we understand that different religions are contradictory? Why would you want to be part of a religion that isn't based on truth? Truth, after all is just another way of saying reality, or fact. They can't all be reality. I've done a lot of scientific and historical research and that has convinced me to practice the religion that I am. I believe if your faith is the right(truthful) one, it can be proved. Although perhaps not to someone who refuses to accept it. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

DpaigeP

Asked by DpaigeP at 4:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• They all believe their way is the best way.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• The core of my beliefs are based on faith. You can't explain faith with science, history or logic. Just by experiencing the miracles that faith in God can produce.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 4:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It depends on if you're talking about religions that are not of God. I think when it comes to Christian based religions, they all believe the same thing, they just have different ways of doing things. I think most people can find a place that's suitable for them and their families. We don't have a "religion". We go to a non-denominational church.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My spiritual beliefs are based on logic & I think that everyone should evaluate their religous beliefs to see if it really makes sense to them. However, I think it is silly to think that there is only one way to understand something as complex as religion/spirituality. Comparative mythology can help you understand how similar different faiths are, they are less contradictory than most people think. Religions are contradictory because they tell you how to do things, but spirituality isn't contradictory because it is simply an understanding of life/the world. In fact they only contradict when you are focused on "truth" "facts" or "the right way" to do things rather than the deeper meanings. Besides I think when people say the church that is right for them I think they mean the place that teaches what is closest to their spiritual beliefs & religous practice.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Seriously? You researched & found that Christianity was the most logical? Where did you do your research?
    Anonymous

• LOL anonymous. I didn't read that she practiced Christianity. But to each his own. If it works for you more power to you. Just try to accept that it doesn't work for everyone.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I'm assuming that your religion is Christian, based on your profile. I agree that truth is fact and can be proven, but you lost me in that you feel your religion (religious beliefs) can be proven, when indeed they cannot.

Ironically, it was the study of history and science that was a major catalyst to move me away from Christian "truths". So I guess it all goes back to what one's defintion of "truth" is.
    Jazzmim

Answer by Jazzmim at 6:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Religion is not logical to me.
    BonnaVore

Answer by BonnaVore at 11:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2008