2 yr old has fleas help!

I've done a lot of research but I still can't fix this! Help!! I found a flea in my sons hair a few days ago during his bath and picked it out. I didn't find anymore. Then today he was scratching his head and I looked and there are tons of tiny fleas in his hair! I immediately gave him his second bath of the day and scrubbed his hair with baby shampoo it killed most of them but some are still alive. I checked his bedding and my bedding and I have no idea where they are coming from. Both my cats have been treated once a year and I checked them they don't have fleas either. My husband doesn't have them but I did find a few on my hair this morning as well. I am so upset I don't know how to kill them. And before anyone says it I am a stay at home mom and I keep my house very clean other then the occasional dirty kitchen and toys on the floor. Please help me :(

hillelbebop

Asked by hillelbebop at 1:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Probably not fleas, but lice. Go to the drugstore and get some lice treatment.
    mdrgator10

Answer by mdrgator10 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Geeze, I have no idea...wonder if lice treatment would work? Call your ped and ask!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 1:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Are you sure it isn't lice? You need to use tea tree shampoo, and treat the house, bedding and everything.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• How do I tell if its lice or fleas? They are brown and kind of see thru. I don't see any eggs.
    hillelbebop

Comment by hillelbebop (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Sounds like lice.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• sounds like lice,, google fairy tales shampoo and they have a whole course of treatment,, it will kill fleas as well.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• i went through this but it was lice and we went and got a comb to temove fleas from dog (better than a lice comb) and i did her hair everyday, and everynight with no chemical just mayo and my leave in conditioner and blowdried her hair for 30-45 minutes every night/morning and we thankfully got rid of it oh not to mention my house had to be cleaned twice sometimes three times a day
    boo_01

Answer by boo_01 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• I don't think people get fleas, he probably has lice, they look kinda the same but I think fleas are flat and lice aren't
    kattea21911

Answer by kattea21911 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• That sounds like lice & lice like clean hair, so please don't think this is a reflection on your ability to keep your home clean. Here's an article with a photo of what lice look like: http://headlice-treatment.net/head-lice-information/02-photograph-image-of-head-lice.php

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Fleas jump as soon as you try to grab them.

What you have described is Lice.
    I am a hairdresser and the eggs are tough to see. Your best step is to shave sons hair. It's tough getting those eggs out. A Lice lays up to 7 eggs a day. They hatch within 14 days. You need to wash all your bedding in HOT water. vaccuum floor, throw away bag. put all stuffed animals in black trash bag and store it for a month.
    You don't have to be clean to get head lice. You too have it and your husband probably has it as well.
    A "REAL Mayo" treatment is the best way to smother the live lice but will NOT kill the eggs. there is NO treatment that kills the eggs.
    slather real mayo on your head, put plastic bag over it. It needs to cover your scalp and hair to suffocate the lice. leave on for 8-12 hours. we have slept with it on.
    Don't panic ...but you;ll need someone to get the eggs out of your hair. straighten with HOT iron..will help
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2011