What do you think a imaginary friend really is?

My child is only 3 and is already telling me about her "friend" but no one is even with her??? It kind of scares me!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A spirit guide. Absolutely nothing to be afraid of. I used to speak to mine all the time, too. And my daughter did it when she was that age. Usually, they "grow out of it", unless of course they have the gift of sight.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It's imagination! And nothing to worry about. Many people have imaginary friends when young.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• She's just playing...using her imagination. Buy her a little tea party set, and just watch all of the characters and personalities she will come up with.

Now, unless she says "I see dead people!" then it's all perfectly normal! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Imaginary friend= IMAGINARY. She is using her imagination and making up someone to play with. Nothing scary about it. They dont really exist.

Answer by gemgem at 10:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I'm no expert but I'd say an imaginary friend gives children comfort. Perfectly normal.
    sandymcu

Answer by sandymcu at 10:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• We actually studied imaginary friends in psychology class.....its normal for kids to have them :)
    lucyblue112

Answer by lucyblue112 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Imaginary friends are common. They provide friendship and are like play therapy. A child can talk about anything and behave any way she likes because it's all about her. My brother and I used to have two imaginary friends. Cubby was always perfect and Jimmy was a slacker. We used to tell Cubby how great he was and Jimmy how he was a screw up! My oldest confessed she had an imaginary friend for company. It helps us fantisize and carry our part out in our everyday lives.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 11:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• If you think that's scary then you would have been terrified if I was your kid. When I was younger I had an imaginary friend named Stephen that went everywhere with me. I was in our side yard one day playing with Stephen and my grandma pulled into the driveway and down to the front of the house past us. When she got out of the car my mom says I came running, screaming and crying down the driveway and when she asked what happened I told my mom "Grandma ran over Stephen in the driveway". I guess I was a morbid little kid.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 11:18 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I have always heard having an imaginary friend is a higher order thinking skill so be glad your child has one! :-) It is just her using her imagination - it is a good thing.
    Mom2Girl865

Answer by Mom2Girl865 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think it's just imagination and companionship to have an imaginary friend. I had an imaginary monkey named Jo-Jo for several years. My mom and dad and sister and brother played along and "we" took him everywhere with us. One day he "ran away" and I never saw him again. I'm 44 now and we still talk about Jo-Jo and have a good laugh.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2009