Any suggestions for baby routine ( sleeping and activities) for 4 month old?

I like to get up around 8.0 am and put her to bed between 8.30 - 9.30 pm. She wakes up around 2 - 3.0 am and then between 6 - 7.0 am, if I feed her and don't get up, she sleeps till 9.0 am and then the wholes schedule is shifted later. Should I get up with her when she wakes up or go with the flow and accept later schedule? When should I run errands, she always sleeps in the car and stroller, do you suggest top take her for walks during her longest afternoon nap or afterwards? It's hard for me to create any consistency, my husbands schedule doesn't help, he is a night owl and works as an emergency plumber.

katy1980

Asked by katy1980 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would go with the flow right now. I found it easier to start creating a routine once we were introducing food at meal times...4-6 months. The meals were at set times, then their other naps and snacks kind of just fell into place!

I still let them call the shots as far as naps and snacks...they kind of settled into a routine after a bit on their own.

Shopping...if you want to go, then go. Walks...if you want to go then go. Unless you want her to sleep only in her bed for naps and such.....then stay home. Until my boys were settling into their routines, I just did what I needed to do. If they slept, they slept. If the wanted to eat, they ate. Once in their routines I tended to stay home at naptimes...but that was my choice.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I have a 3months old and this is hers:
    Wakes between 6-7am (bottle,diaper) then she goes down for a nap at 8ish wakes at between 11-12pm (bottle,diaper) naps again at 2 or 3 (with a bottle,diaper0 and is up by 4 then bath bottle and bed by 6pm-7pm wake her at 11-11:30 (bottle, diaper) then she sleeps till morning. I usually try to do arrends during nap time! No one every said nap time had to be at home or even in a bed. I just give her a warm bottle change her diaper and put her in the car. By the time we get where we r going she is asleep and stays asleep till we get back home then i just put her in her crib.
    KeagansMom08

Answer by KeagansMom08 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Read the book "Baby Wise". It's the best for advice on a baby's schedule and helping them to sleep through the night. My baby has been sleeping through the night since 7 weeks.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• IMO, Babywise is not a book any parent should read. Unless youre a fan of leaving children alone to cry themselves to sleep as newborns.

Anywho. I wouldn't stress the schedule too much yet. As PP said, it should kind of fall into place once meals are introduced.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I go with the flow.
    Most mornings me and the kids don't get up until between 11am and noon.. Yep, it means my kids aren't in bed until 11pm.. But I would muuuuuch rather sleep in until 11 than get up at 7 because I put them to bed too early.. If I'm going to be awake until midnight or 2am anyway, why in the world would I put my kids in bed so early that I resent getting up in the morning?

There is no reason to have your child on a schedule. The clock should not determine their day- their own moods and bodies should.. Why be a slave to a number on the wall? Your real life will pass you by if you're always waiting for the "correct" hour to do things.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2009