How expensive is girlscouts?

my dd is 6 and in 1st grade she wants to do girlscouts. How much doea it cost is it expensive? It says it is 12.00 to become a member, but eachtime they do something do you have to pay for it? Is the 12.00 only for the membership or is that for the uniform too?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• The uniform is extra. Sometimes you can find a Brownie, Daisy, or Girl Scout uniform at a thrift store, though!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• how much are the uniforms and where do you buy them at?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• I believe it is about $10 to register and then it is a dolor or two dues which they some times collect at the beginning of the year for crafts etc. My daughter loved it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• lol NO... my son was 25.00 down and 15 a month his uniform was 120.00
    my daughters were 25.00 10.00 a month and uniform was 95.00 and patches to add on are about 4-6 dollars a piece plus sewing
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• It's a $12.00 fee when you sign up the first time. Every year after that, the troop will pay that fee for you. Don't quote me, but I think the vest and all that goes on it is initially like $24.00. Your daughter will be a Daisy and she will earn petals for her vest and will earn patches. Patches are between and dollar and two dollars. Not much at all. You can buy everything she will need at a Girl Scout store, if one is close to you. If not, you can order them online.

http://www.girlscoutshop.com/gsusaonline/LandingPage.aspx?subCatId=OfficialUniformsDaisy&rn=OfficialUniforms

CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 4:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• well you have to pay the 12.00 and a dollor every meeting. you got to pay for uniforms tee shirts.... but if you cant afford it then girl scouts is excellent at helping!
    ijsmomma

Answer by ijsmomma at 4:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Depends on the troop. $12 is the national fee to join GSA. Each troop may or may not have it's own troop fees. Uniforms are optional for Daisies and aren't too expensive (our troop required the tunic but they now offer a vest). Our patches were paid for by the leader.
    The last year my daughter did GS she was in 1st. Our annual fees for our troop was $40 ($20 in the fall, $20 in spring) and that paid for all their trips and activities. We never did buy her a uniform. We never had the money. Her leader got a hold of an older Daisy t-shirt and gave it to her. Then before end of the year awards she presented us with a Daisy tunic and the petals to put on it. We were very grateful. Most troops will work with you if you can't afford it.
    The troop my oldest belonged to in 1st grade (Brownies back then) had a $5/month fee and it was $10 back then to join GSA. Some field trips were extra, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2011