should i worry or am i paranoid

when i was about17 weeks pregnant i was feeling the baby move around..not alot but alittle. Now that im 20 weeks i haven't felt him move at all. Ive had a bad habit lately of laying on my back for a long peroid of time because of how the tv is set up in our bedroom...could i of hurt my baby : (

SaraNicole715

Asked by SaraNicole715 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I know the books say not to lay on your back but I dont THINK that it could harm your baby. I am 18 weeks almost 19 weeks prego and if I sit with my feet in the chair I can feel the baby move more then if Im just sitting normal. but I havent felt NORMAL movements yet. My doctor has always told me that if Im worried come on it and he'll put that thing on my stomach and find the heartbeat so I feel better...maybe your dr would be willing to do the same. Hope this helps! Im sure your baby is fine...you just cant FEEL it moving.
    Manda_62007

Answer by Manda_62007 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• no the only reason they say not to lay on you back is because there is a vain or nerve ( I can remember which ) that goes behind your uterus and when you lay on your back you put pressure on that vain/nerve and it can make you dizzy and it can raise your blood pressure. The raise in your blood pressure can harm the baby if it goes on long enough and goes untreated. But it doesn't sound like that's the issue. You might just not notice the baby moving. Know how could you not notice but if you get busy or focused doing something you would be shocked on how much you will miss. Just lay down , drink a cold glass of water, and eat something ( I found that candy bars worked best ) and just lay there for about an hour. after about an hour or two if you still haven't felt the baby move. I would call your doc asap. I hope this helped. Good luck!!
    Alorasmommy

Answer by Alorasmommy at 11:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Lying on your back won't hurt the baby. don't worry about that. You didn't say how long a time since you felt him move, but if it is a day or so, maybe it would ease your mind to call the doctor or to call the hospital and ask to talk to a nurse.

Answer by Bmat at 11:52 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• How long has it been since you felt the baby move. Nothing is consistant till about 28 weeks. You may go periods of time (I would go 4 days) without feeling the baby move. You can lay on your side after drinking some ice cold water, juice, or eat a snack and see if that helps. Remember you baby is still very small and not very strong yet. Give it time and call your doctor if you need to ease your mind. Hang in there and you will feel those nice rib kicks before to long!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• the last time i really felt him kick was christmas eve....ive felt little movements but nothing like i was feeling..and its been a couple days since ive felt the little movements
    SaraNicole715

Answer by SaraNicole715 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Just hang in there. Call your doctor and they can always hook you up on the doppler and that would put your mind at ease. Like I said...at times I would go days without a movement and then she would start up in full force.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2009