My son is starting to announce to everyone that we hit him

My son 3 1/2 has started to tell me and everyone who can hear that I hit him all the time. He also got mad and told me he is going to kick me out of the house. My son has had about 2 spankings which were after time outs, being sent to his room didn't work and there have been no spankings whatsoever for at least 6 months. He has also accused his grandmother who has NEVER spanked him of the same thing loudly in public at Target. I don't know where he is getting this stuff because there is no show we let him watch or person that would ever have threatened anyone else of kicking someone out of the house. The only thing that I can even think of is that there is a little boy at school who my son has been talking about having lots of boo boos. I can tell you my son is spoiled rotten and gets lots of love and couldn't hack it one day in the hands of CPS and I am worried he is going to report this to the wrong person (not that he has a scratch on his body) does anyone have any advice for me? (please don't make this about the 2 spankings he got almost a year ago before we gave up on this approach)

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• He could be picking up the behavior from his friend...my dd (3) has started saying this too, and I stay home with her. She started saying it in jcp the other day, and I told her that she knows mommy and daddy don't hit her, and that she can get taken away and go to a new family that might not be nice/be very mean if she kept saying it. She hasn't said it since. I probably could have gone about it another way, but sometimes when it comes to these kind of things, the plain truth is the best,..rather than candy coating it.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 4:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• sounds like your son is crying out for attention, maybe because the little boy he is talking to may be getting a lot of it... because if he is not watching television shows etc its most likely a cry for attention... he will grow out of it. but you do need to sit him down and tell him that it is wrong to accuse you guys of such things because he can be taken away... no kid wants to be taken away from their family, say it nicely dont necessarily scare him but he needs to know. he also needs to learn that it is bad to lie because lies can get the people he loves in trouble, not only that but get him in trouble. cps will do an investigation if it ever gets that serious and of course they will find nothing which can get your kid in trouble because no one likes to be called out for false obligations its almost like playing games with their time that they couldve spend getting some other poor unfortunate kid out of their home.
    khaliab19

Answer by khaliab19 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Maybe he's trying to be like his friend? Kids will often mimic each other, especially if they spend a lot of time around each other. If this other kid is having a lot of "accidents" that raises a red flag in my mind. Maybe in some odd way your child is trying to get help for his friend?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• It's possible that he's picking this behaviour up from his friend. I used to teach 2 year old pre-school and a little boy in the class used to get upset and (he was spanked at home but not abused) he would tell the other children "if you don't stop i'm gonna get fustrated" (don't you love how little kids talk) and then he would say "i'm gonna coun to 3 and give you a whoopin". Of course the other children would hear it and copy him. It's not something we could help or prevent. I spank my children when they lie or mis-behave and it is controlled. Teach your son that telling lies only hurts everyone around him and tell him that then really talk to him about what's going on with his friend and see if you can help that little boy, it'll help your own child in the long run. Kids understand way more than we give them credit for, talk to your little guy, he's got a lot to say if he's raising his voice for strangers to hear.
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Dont make him a liar and he may stop.....lol!!!1
    SLC3015

Answer by SLC3015 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• UGH...my little sister was the worst. She would just start screaming "DON'T hit me..CHILD ABUSE" my poor mom would be horrified cause of course people would look, wonder, and stare. One day she pulled it in Denny's cause my mom wouldn't get her something she wanted. Now you have to know my mom rarely if ever spanked, and my sister never had been at that point. My mom fuming grabbed her up, took her in the bathroom and spanked her behind. Never again did those words leave her mouth.

I have learned that it is fairly normal for kids that age to tell stories, it's for attention and when they find what works they grab on and don't let go. Try to not react at all.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Tell him that he is lying and he should stop this behavior. Stop spanking and discipline with other methods but also affirm him and tell him you love him. Sound like he is begging for attention.
    onlinejazzmom

Answer by onlinejazzmom at 10:52 AM on Sep. 17, 2011