im a new mom and i was wondering do you think spanking is appropiate

im aa new mom i have a 2 year old girl and shes starting the temper tantrums the yelling and screaming i have no ckue what to do i give her time outs for 1-2 minutes i was wondering should i make her stay longer or find a new discipline method .................. HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I spank when nothing else is working and nothing wrong with it as long it's with an open hand and not using anything else. You can trying taking her favorite toys away or just putting her in room for a little bit.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I don't spank. There are other methods you can use. Pm me if you would like some advice.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• As a last resort, I feel it CAN be effective. I'm not talking about using a paddle or switch, just your hand on their butt or back of hand. We all "survived" spankings as children, and don't have any emotional scars as a result. I can count on one hand the number of times I was spanked, and I remember exactly why...and I didn't do it again!

Parents have read too many psycho-babble books, and as a result are afraid to punish their children now, that common sense has fallen by the wayside. "Asking" your child to not run free in a parking lot, isn't going to protect them. Being "friends" with your children, and thinking you talk sense to a toddler/preschooler, isn't going to raise a responsible/accountable/conscientious child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• You will hear all sorts of views on this. I think spanking should be an option for people who want to use it as a parenting tool. But many people do not use it and still have success. It's about what works for your child... and your own ability to use it as a tool and not in angery, kwim? As far as tantrums, spankings wont usually help with that. They are expressing themselves and learning how to do so... as well as what the limits and appropriate reactions are to things. I actually laugh at my son now when he throws a fit. It has a big effect because his purpose often is to get a certain reaction from me... and because if I don't laugh I'd likely go insane :) Hang in there! I hope you get a variety of suggestions to help. Just remember that something may not work this week and yet will next... Stay on your toes :O)
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 11:43 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think spanking is essential. Do you see the moms out there who do not spank? They are the ones no one wants to be around. The ones whose children no one likes. The Wild Animal Children, I like to call them. You see them out there counting to their children instead of actually disciplining them. Lazy parents, you could say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I DO NOT spank. My kids are always complimented by strangers. People assume I spank because my kids are well behaved, it's really funny. I think tantrums are easily fixed by ignoring them. I have never had a problem with tantrums. My first child(I have 5) had one ONCE in public, that was the end of that. Disciple doesn't have to include spanking to be effective. Feel free to message me if you'd like :-)
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2009