Do you have yo give cereal?? my son loves fruits and veggies, but cereal makes him constipated!!

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 11:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would... that's where they get the iron etc. You want to use this time to expose them to things and help their bodies learn to digest all things. Are you also bf or formula feeding? How old is your lo? I add cereal to everything... I just quit because my son is 8 mo and I started feeding him dairy here and there and he eats a lot of Cheerios lol. My oldest got constipated too... But I started adding apple juice cut with water and that really helped.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 11:39 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• The doctors will tell you that cereal could constipate them...my son has problems with constipation, but seemed to take cereal with no problem. If apple doesn't work, Gerber makes juice specifically designed for babies & the white grape is my best friend on bad days. Beware of bananas too, they can be a culprit....but if it gets too bad, prunes will usually work within minutes! =) Don't give too much prunes though, otherwise you'll both need a bath...and quite possibly, like in my case, you may have to spot clean a couch. =)
    CrystalMayrand

Answer by CrystalMayrand at 11:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I checked out your profile and discovered these things: your son is 5 months old, you are breast feeding.
    Given those facts: NO!! It's actually not necessary to give him any food at all until he is a year, and it is widely recommended that you wait until he's at least 6 months to start him on any solids. In my research I found that it's best to start with veggies ( I feel the best first food is avocado, technically a fruit, I know) and grain isn't a good first food at all. Isis got her first grain when she was about 7 months I think, and then it was unfortified barley.
    Anyway, no, if your son isn't digesting it well then definitely don't give it to him. And there's absolutely no need to worry about his food since you're breastfeeding- for the first year any food is just practice, all his nutrition needs are met with your milk!
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 12:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• PS  Check out the book Super Baby Food by Yaron, it's amazing.  It was my bible for months 6-12!

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 12:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• What cereal are you giving? Rice can cause constipation. Try barley.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• No, cereal is not a great food for babies anyway. Start baby on whole foods(fruits, veggies, etc.) that won't constipate him.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I talked to my pediatrician about the same thing beause my little girl was getting so constipated she would scream for hours trying to poop. They told me that if she was doing fine eeating fruits and vegges that I didn't have to give the cereal at all and that she was getting enough iron from the formula (or breastmilk) plus there is iron in some of the fruits and vegges naturally.
    nicholeluvslucy

Answer by nicholeluvslucy at 12:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Cereal and baby food are not necessary for either breastfed or formula fed babies. It is sometimes considered to be easier to use it as far as checking for food sensitivities and it practice for chewing and swallowing. The extra iron in cereal is probably what is constipating him. You can cut back on the cereal if you want to still give it, or cut it out. You can just also just wait and give finger and/or table foods when they're ready.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My doctor said that the cereal is nutritionally relevent but all other foods are "just for fun." Your son will benefit more from the cereal, but as long as you keep BFing I don't think he'll suffer from lack of cereal. That is just my opinion though...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• See, and my research has led me to believe that cereal is NOT relevant at all. Its just empty calories and junk. I plan on skipping cereal altogether and go straight to veggies and fruits when my son is 6 months old. I will be making my own food as well. If you are breastfeeding, there is nothing in cereal that is better than whats in your milk. Cereal is not required at all. I've read its more for the child to use to get used to the texture of solid food.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009