How long do your kids play outside each day?

My 2 youngest kids aren't in school yet so I take them out at 10:00am after breakfast and again at 4:00pm when their big sissy gets home from school. They play out a total of about 3-4 hours a day.

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine are all in school. They play after school sports and have practice 3 times a week, 2-3 hours a day. On those days other then what they get at school that is how long they are outside. On their "off" days they do play outside after school for 1-2 hours.

Answer by gemgem at 5:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Saturdays are spent with being outside for up to 5-6 hours if it isn't raining. School days are about a hour or two for my LO and Sundays varies a lot. At least 2 hours though!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• nice no. I have to make my kids go outside all summer trampoline, pool, jungle gym sat empty if its not xbox or wii they have no interest ~Amy
    AmyJacobs

Answer by AmyJacobs at 5:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Mine get to spend 4-5 hours a day out doors (if not more) assuming the weather is nice. Today they finished up their studies and school work at 11 am. So from 11-noon they were outside and then went back out after lunch at 12:30 and stayed out until just now when I called them in for dinner. So today they got 5 hours of outside play.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Wow, that's excellent everybody! Boy do I feel guilty - my kids aren't getting out nearly that much. I read last month that kids need a minimum of one hour of vigorous exercise per day, so I've been making a big effort to get outside. Bruno's 3, so obviously he can't be out unsupervised.
    eimat

Answer by eimat at 6:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• Depends on the weather and if they're in school or not. On school days the younger kids get 2 recesses (that's 35 minutes outside right there). Then there's the 20 minutes before the bus in the morning. They insist on going out early to run around and hang out. After homework, if it isn't raining or really cold, they go outside until 7pm. Coming in to eat dinner at 5pm. When the weather is nice they usually play outside for 3-3 1/2 hours on school days. Wed they get out early so it's more like 6 hours.
    In the summer they are usually outside sometime between breakfast and lunch and don't usually come in until 8-9pm. Basically they are outside all day (8-10 hours). The baby doesn't go out much. Over the summer he liked to play in his hand table and he'd sit out there for hours. He has free access to the back yard when the weather is nice (we keep the door open so he can go in and out).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• 2 hours average.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• 2 hr on school nights
    LATINAICE

Answer by LATINAICE at 7:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• about 2 hours now that it's conditioning time.. during the summer.. ALL the time..
    MrsGrubbs

Answer by MrsGrubbs at 8:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2011

• weekdays, about 2 hours, weekends all day if they want ( with me out there for my younger 4)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2011