Are you supposed to cover the turkey?

If so, when? How far into cooking? With the roasting pan top, or with aluminum foil?

Mia1983

Asked by Mia1983 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I cover it until the last hour , with the roasting pan top if it fits, if not with foil. Keeps the turkey moist , don't forget to baste too .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I cover with foil until the last hour or so.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I keep mine covered with the roasting pan lid. I don't have to baste. I found this recipe at allrecipes.com
    1 (18 pound) whole turkey ,1/2 cup butter, salt and pepper to taste
    1 1/2 quarts turkey stock ,8 cups prepared stuffing
    Preheat oven to 325 F Place rack in the lowest position of the oven.
    Remove the neck and giblets, rinse the turkey, and pat dry. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan. Loosely fill the body cavity with stuffing. Rub the skin with the softened butter, and season with salt and pepper. Position an aluminum foil tent over the turkey. Place turkey in the oven, and pour 2 cups turkey stock into the bottom of the roasting pan. Baste every 30 min. with the juices in the pan. Add stock when needed, about 1 to 2 cups at a time. Remove aluminum foil after 2 1/2 hours. Roast until a meat thermometer inserted in the meaty part of the thigh reads 180 degrees F about 4 hours.

Answer by Bmat at 12:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I do not cover my turkey, if I am cooking a small turkey. If you are cooking a big turkey, you would cover it. If you are putting stuffing in the turkey, you cover the stuffing.
    emtgirl885

Answer by emtgirl885 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Thanks, all! I made a 22 lb turkey, did cover it, and it turned out great.
    Mia1983

Answer by Mia1983 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• the best way to cook a turkey is to buy a bag and put it in there and leave it...no basting nothing...its moist and terrific...try it
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2009