Do animals go to the bathroom while hibernating?

So my 6yo was watching a Pooh cartoon, and Pooh was going to hibernate for the winter.... My son asked, if he goes to sleep the whole winter time..... does he make poop while he is sleeping,,,, and does it just pile up by his butt?
I couldn't tell him the answer....
....anyone?

Gotta love the innocence of a child!??

frasermom23

Asked by frasermom23 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Pets

• I just read that "unlike other animals, bears do not urinate when they hibernate."
    I googled around and found that animals may only hibernate for periods of time then they wake up to use the bathroom and get more water or food. So I'd say the answer is no solid waste while hibernating. This is just a guess based on what I read.

Answer by Bmat at 12:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Explain to your little one that he doesn't go to the bathroom while he is asleep, and neither does the bear. Bears are made to sleep longer, but they still don't go potty in their bed.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 5:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Cute.... I was wondering that too! For I always have A mama Raccoon & her Kits live by my home & opposums too! They do come our during A January Thaw to get Food! Might have to use the woods too!! Great Question!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

•  I just LOVE the question!! Only a child  can think of something like that. Sometimes I feel like an idiot when I had no answers for my DD would ask me things like this. Personally I have no idea. Your boy is amazing!

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2009